Epilogue

Epilogue

"Wow," Rogue said as she looked up at the mansion. "This is where you grew up?"

"Well I spent the first seven years on the streets, so I figure this place kinda balances things out."

The front door of the French colonial mansion opened long before they got there, and Henri came running over to them.

"You made it!" he grinned, pulling them both into a hug. "Oh, Remy, it's good to see you."

"Henri! Stop yammering like a loon and bring my boy in here!" said another figure, now standing in the mansion doorway.

Rogue hadn't met him but she assumed this was Remy's father, Jean-Luc.

"Père," Remy called, confirming her suspicions as he ran to the other man.

They hugged and by the time they broke apart, Rogue and Henri had reached them.

"Père, allow me to introduce Rogue. Rogue this is mon père, Jean-Luc."

He took her hand and bowed over it, kissing the back.

"A pleasure to finally meet the worlds greatest thief," he said.

Rogue looked confused.

"Any woman who can steal my Remy's heart has got to have some rare skills," he said with a wink. "Anyway, come in, come in. You must be tired after your journey. Remy, why don't you show Rogue to your room, then join us in the rear lounge once you've freshened up."

Remy smiled, liking that idea and led Rogue up the stairs.

"And this is my room," he said, opening the door with a flourish.

Like the rest of the mansion, it was opulent but tasteful. The carpets were so thick that Rogue felt like she was sinking into them with each step. In the middle of the room stood a large four poster bed and the windows had floor length, heavy velvet curtains, tied back with thick, platted cord. She'd be willing to bet that everything in here was antique.

"I think I could get used to this," Rogue said, falling onto her bed and sighing. 

"I'll buy us our own mansion if you want, cher."

"Charmer," she said with a smile.

After they had unpacked, they made their way back downstairs and enjoyed drink with Henri and Jean-Luc. A little later Henri's wife, Mercy, joined them.

They both caught up on each others news until it neared dinner time, at which point Remy's cousins, Emil, Theoren and Etienne joined them with their respective partners, and after that Rogue was unable to remember everyone's name.

She was hugged, kissed and complimented more times that she would normally be in a year, and it quickly became clear how very much these people loved Remy, and now by extension, herself.

Rogue wondered how they could possibly fit around one table for dinner, until she saw the table, which was easily thirty foot long and laid out as if for a banquet. Jean-Luc sat at one end, Remy on one side of him, Henri on the other and the rest of the family took up about half the length of the table. Conversation and wine flowed freely.

Tante Mattie came out to greet her boy when desert was served, and told Rogue that she'd have a proper chat with her tomorrow, just so she'd know how to keep 'that boy' in line. Rogue laughed, although she was uncertain if Tante was joking or not.

Finally at gone midnight, Rogue and Remy made their way to bed.

"So, what do you think?" Remy asked, with just a hint of tension in his voice. After all, everyone wants their partners to get along with their family.