Chapter Three

Chapter Three

As Rogue's forth week in New Orleans drew to a close, they both knew knew they had issues that needed to be addressed, and that they couldn't avoid them for much longer. They were taking a carriage ride through the French Quarter but as romantic as it was, neither could truly relax and the ride had been mostly silent.

"Have you given any more thought to becoming an X-Man?" Rogue asked quietly, almost as though she was afraid to ask.

Remy looked deeply into her eyes, as though trying to read some kind of truth there.

"Cher, what would you do if I said I would go back with you, on the condition that you have sex with me?"

"What!" She rounded on him. "Remy! Of all the low, nasty things to say. Why would you even suggest something so impossible?"

"It's not impossible, cher, I know the the inhibitor collar is dangerous for long term use, but it would work for a few hours without doin' you any damage."

She supposed it would.

"Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's going to happen." She turned away, her arms crossed defensively over her chest and her shoulders stiff. "Like I'd waste my first time on something so sordid. I'm not a whore, Remy."

"I'm sorry," he said, placing his hands on her shoulders. "I didn't mean that, but I had to know."

"Know what?"

"Know if you liked me, or if you were just using me."

She turned to face him again, her anger abating slightly, but her pain and defensiveness still strong.

"I don't..."

"Cher, if you really like someone, you want the first time with them to be special. If you don't really like them but maybe you're attracted to them, then you don't bother so much. If you had said yes to my suggestion, I'd have known that you don't really care for me."

As counter intuitive as that sounded, Rogue understood what he meant and couldn't help the very small smile that crept onto her lips. "You're forgetting the third option, swamp rat, that maybe I really don't like you?"

"Nah." That familiar twinkle that she liked so much returned to Remy's eyes. "How could you not like moi?"

"You got confidence, Cajun, I'll give you that." Though she had wondered on more than one occasion if his charm and confidence were just a cover, hiding his true feelings.

An awkward silence formed between them, punctuated only the horses hoof beats and the ambient noise of those around them. The merriment in Remy's eyes dimmed and he found himself needing to look away from her.

"I can't go back with you, cher." It seemed like the confession pained him but for the life of her, she couldn't understand why.

"Why not?"

"Because your inhibitor collar doesn't work long term."

"What? Remy, this isn't about us, this is about doing the right thing! How can you even think of sex at a time-"

Her ire was raised once again, but his next words deflated it almost as quickly as a pin would a balloon.

"Not for you, cher, the collar'd be for me."

Her jaw dropped open, then she did a rather good impression of a fish as she tried to find the words to ask what he meant.

Before she could form a coherent question though, Remy asked the driver to pull over, paid him and helped Rogue down from the carriage. They walked down the street together then, side by side but alone, neither one speaking. They found themselves entering Jackson Square, which was fairly empty at this time of night and afforded them some privacy.