10. R O A D S

You may have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.
- Rumi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

I hate her. I hate her with every fibre in my being. Her golden eyes haunt my mind, and my every drop of blood unites to reject them. The universe has played the sickest game on me. I should have known. Ten years ago, I should have known.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

F I V E S U N S P A S T

T H E C A R A V A N

T H E    C A R A V A N

Crunch

Crunch

Crunch

The creatures of the mountain pauses in their day to day tasks, swivelling their heads to the sound. The mice stood on their back legs, the owl turned its head in full rotation and opened its huge perfectly circular orbs, while the mountainous dog raised his nose to stiff the air. What could be the source of such commotion?

Amaan watched in amusement as the stubborn woman in front of him stomped on every twig or rock she could find. Her deliberate punishment of the debris ridden land beneath her feet made him laugh internally- she made up for the temper of her sweet sisters easily. No one enjoyed the unbearable heat and horrifically complex terrain of the mountain pass, but Ishtar had a rather entertaining way to express herself in that regard.

She seemed to have grown bored of her carriage by the fifth day of their travels. He knew she'd been itching to just do something, even if it meant walking instead of riding. She might as well have crawled at the pace their miles and camels were moving under the intense heat.

Still, she revelled in the effort. It made sleeping at night so much more easier. She would be too exhausted to pay attention to the scary sounds of coyotes and Allah knows what other creatures out there.

Amaan smiled at her back and shook his head, before returning his gaze to the land ahead.

They had been travelling without any problems thus far, Alhumdulillah. He was relieved they hadn't even encountered nomadic tribes or desert bandits who required bribes. They had entered the mountain pass on the fourth day, and if his memory served correctly, they had yet another day to go. There was bound to be someone at the other end who would demand something- after all, it was a way for a man to make a living for himself by charging other men.