Prologue

Prologue - of my in progress novel "Destiny Unveils"

please please pleeeaase read and tell me what you think i will upload the first chapter soon if people like it in order to get the story going. This prologue is important later on as it gives insight into what is happening and what is to come and you will find out ts significance far later on. But right now have a taste of one part of the world i am trying to create :D enjoy and comment please.

Darkness seeped through the large blackened trees and coated the sky, not a single patch of light could be seen. The dead trees creaked and swayed in a non-existent wind, rustling and towering over the dark mud. Rain showered down heavily soaking everything and masking all in sight, its cold wet chill grasping all it hit. It pattered on the windows of the stone fortress on the mountain. It had high walls of black, glistening stone, each slippery from the forever falling rain and slimy from the dark green plants that roped up the walls. Its windows were small and dirty, the grime and muck covering the edges and dust coated the inside of them making it almost impossible to see through but still well crafted and strong. Magic leaked from the locks and all around the edges. The entrance door was huge and made of a thick heavy metal of silvery-grey which was further reinforced with strips of steel held tight with large bolts. It had a tower in the centre of it where there was a courtyard and a passage leading towards a back door of it which could be reached from inside the castle; although no-one had been able to seek it. The tower was damp and musty its point on the roof sharp. The tiles were crumbling and slipping off. Lightning often flashed and struck the tip of the tower causing tiles to fall and parts of the tower to weaken.

A tall shadowed figure paced the dark hall. Blood was smeared on the walls and the smell of rotting flesh hung in the air. The stone tiles were black and shiny. They also had the glimmer of a biting, icy coldness. Torn tapestries hung on the walls great large slices in them in the shape of claw marks and a long black and silver glass table with matching high backed chairs with the legs shaped like the claws of a great beast sat to one side of the hall. The glass on the long table shimmered even in the darkness. Shadows were cast upon the walls by the dull light of the melting candles, which glowed on the grey metal sconces around the hall. The high ceiling beams were littered with bats hanging upside down their fangs red with blood and their leathery wings curled around their furry black bodies. Their senses tingled as they listened to the conversation below them.

The black cloaked figure strode to his black steel and crystal throne his boots clicking on the tiles and echoing through the damp dark hall, hitting his staff on the floor in rhythm to his feet as he walked. The staff was black crystal but tough as diamonds and there was a black roughly carved stone at the top which pulsed with magic, emitting a soft eerie glow. The man, in his late twenties, was tall and strong with inky black hair that fell lifelessly around his face the tips just brushing his shoulders. His fringe parted in the middle the strands curved over his cheeks just falling over the corners of his eyes. His skin was ghostly pale and grim with his cheeks hollowed. He would have once been very handsome and his smile would have enhanced that but now his lips were twisted into a cold sneer. His piercing eyes were icy and pure black. Dark shadows lingered around his eyes making his eyes seem non-existent. His fingers were long and bony but gripped his staff with might. He wore a long black tunic that reached just above his knees with grey edges over a high necked dark grey shirt. His belt studded black leather gathered it at his waist with a sheathed sword fixed onto it. His black trousers were tucked into his leather black boots with a dark grey metal strip running down the middle. A silver dagger was tucked into the right boot and on the hilt was a black onyx glinting in the dark hall but otherwise invisible, hidden in the boot. His long black cloak swished behind him held round his neck by a chain. His eyes flashed at his surroundings, his fortress, his prison and his power source of minions. For no-one but shadow creatures and unfortunate slaves and prisoners stayed in the Forbidden Lands.