Chapter Seven

Brendan froze. He had not thought his dad would come into the hall to see him. He'd been stupid not to think it at all. His dad would have given them a lift to Jason's or at least said goodbye plus normally Jason would have walked into the living room but because of the state he was in he had stayed in the hall. So naturally his dad went through to see why he had not gone through. Great! To make matters worse his wound was still not cleaned he had forgot, in all the fear and exhilaration, about it only now did the intense pain come searing back and the pain from every other cut and bruise came to him in a flash he wanted nothing more than to lie down. His dad's eyes popped out of his skull as his gaze followed the stairs up to his son standing precariously on the top step covered in his own congealed blood.

"What in the world were you doing?"

Brendan still did not move he couldn't tell his dad what really happened. It was totally unbelievable. So he thought on his feet.

"We were jumped by a crowd of drunks... they were totally out of it and got angry at each other and we got caught up in the fight..." stammered Brendan still holding onto the banister of the stairs and his rucksack hanging from his shoulder too afraid to move. Jason held his breath and his eyes were darting form Brendan to Brendan's father. His father looked shocked and then burst into a speech about phoning the police but Brendan and Jason insisted that they had no information to give because it was dark so there was little point in bothering them since they were fine. His dad finally accepted their decision and carried on attending to Jason's wounds.

Much to their advantage his dad didn't ask too many questions even later on and just accepted their story after all what did it matter? The wounds were terrible that's all that mattered luckily he works as a paramedic and fixed the two of them up in no time. They looked like they'd been in a war. What on earth would Robyn, his wife, think? He suppressed a shudder. She'd lose the plot. He told them to take it easy and decided, although it was a fairly short walk, to drive them to Jason's he was afraid they might collapse from their injuries or do something stupid. He went into the kitchen fetched them water and something to eat and told them to rest in front of the TV in the living room.

The living room was cream and brown and very neutral. It had a brown leather sofa and a wooden coffee table in the centre of the room and the flat screen television was to the right of the fireplace. Whilst they watched TV Brendan's dad phoned Jason's house to talk to his mum about what happened he ranted on about the boys' uniform they were wearing which was now bloodied and ripped almost to shreds. Whilst he explained everything the two boys watched TV and whispered about what had really happened to them.

"That thing was not a normal animal Jason as I said before." whispered Brendan uneasily.

"I know but there is nothing we can do is there?"

"No there isn't, but that's what is bothering me. We can't do anything. Nothing, nada, zilch, zip! We don't even know what the gargoyle type thing was. It's nothing that I've ever heard of or seen on a documentary channel or in a book, well unless it was a book on the supernatural and mystical."

"I'm sorry Brendan but that thing was no bloody unicorn."

Just as Brendan was about to reply his sister, Kristine, walked into the living room and sat down on the other seat. She was average height with long brown hair that was layered with a wispy fringe like Brendans. She was wearing light coloured skinny jeans, purple pumps and a white tank top with a short purple jumper. She cast her eye over the two boys judgingly.

"What have you done now? You really do have a way of settling in don't you?" snapped Kristine

"Like I had much of a choice, I was jumped Kristine, I didn't deliberately do this as a 'welcome to your new home' present!"