Chapter Five

Jess didn't see the rest of the horror because she woke up with a start. Sweat was dripping off her. Her heart was pounding. Gasping, she clutched her chest and ran her hand through her hair. She then threw the duvet off herself but just as she turned to get out of bed Arianna shrieked. Her hand rose, grasping at the air then falling to her head; she was tossing about as if in pain. Jess dived down beside her. What was she to do? She was taking some sort of fit as if having an extremely bad nightmare just as Jess had but...how...coincidence?

She grabbed Arianna trying to calm her but just as she pinned her hands down she shot up into a sitting position. Jess fell back and sat staring at her friend gasping, her eyes wide in horror. Arianna was gasping also and crying in anguish and she whimpered, sweat was also dripping off her. She looked at Jess and without warning threw her arms round her crying. Jess put her arms round her and held her close. What on earth had just happened and what did the nightmare mean? Was it just that? A horrible nightmare, or was it real? It wasn't an insight to the future it looked like it happened centuries ago.

She gazed at her clock it was just half past 6 in the morning but in the winter months the room remained dark. Did Arianna have the same dream or was it just a coincidence they both had a very nasty nightmare? She had never been like this before nor had she seen Arianna this scared and upset since her dad passed away. Whatever she saw was not something she was not going to forget easily. She would confront Arianna later on she was in no fit state to speak at the moment.

Jess checked the clock again after a long time in silence trying to calm Arianna. Only hearing her whimpers and sniffs as she continued crying. It was now 7 o'clock in the morning it was quite early but she was not risking going back to sleep again and neither was Arianna even after their talk, (well Jess spoke and Arianna listened and nodded or shook her head every so often.) She was quite happy never to sleep again certainly not if it meant seeing that nightmare replayed in her head once more. She had felt so cold and helpless and had to watch people dying horrifically she could feel her blood turning cold and her breath rapidly filling her lungs then she let out a slow exhale and inhale and exhale trying to calm down, it wasn't working.

Jess ran to the kitchen and fetched 2 glasses of water, 2 mugs of hot chocolate and a huge chocolate bar. She brought them up to her room on a tray she was surprised that her parents hadn't woken up. She sat down beside a shivering Arianna and handed her the mug of cocoa and a row off the huge chocolate bar. Arianna nodded in thanks, afraid to utter another word until the nightmare was pushed out of her head. Jess munched hungrily into the chocolate and sipped the steaming mug of hot chocolate in silence. She'd ask Arianna what she saw later right now try to figure out what she, herself, had seen.

Although the pictures still fresh in her mind were awful she knew somehow she had to remember them and that they meant something. She had a feeling she saw them for a reason, and was going to remember them whether she liked it or not.

Jake was a deep sleeper so she did not have to worry about him barging into her room, he'd sleep forever. What if he had the nightmare too? Would she be able to ask him in confidence? But she still did not know what Arianna saw until she found out nothing would make sense if it was the same as hers, something was up. Was something bad going to happen? What she had seen was pure fantasy it couldn't be real. Could it? She'd never seen anything like it. They certainly didn't mention anything like that in history, even if she was half asleep through it. She'd know if they had said something about it. Was this something that no-one had known about but that did in fact happen? Surely not, but it was the only thing that made sense. That it was a flash from the past but what has it got to do with her?

Jess's mind was full of unanswerable questions she decided it was just a nightmare for just now until Arianna told her what happened in her nightmare she was going to keep it at that to stop her worrying.