Broken

"Why do you let her do this to you?"

Resting my forehead on my hands, I released a heavy sigh. "Do what, Laur?" I tried to keep my tone challenging, hoping that would make her relent, but I forgot who I was talking to.

Lauren fucking Jauregui was too badass to ever willingly surrender. "Leave to fuck her damn therapist whenever she wants to and then come home and ignore your entire existence." Seeing me flinch at her harsh words, I heard her breath out deeply. "Look I'm sorry for saying it so crassly, but Y/n.. I hate seeing you like this."

I squeezed my eyes shut, going through the Miami state laws and bylaws, that I had to learn by heart in law school, in my head to escape from reality. "Can we please not talk about this?"

"I think we need to talk about this." She crouched down in front of me, hands resting on the couch between my legs to help her balance. "Camila, though I love her with all my heart, is not the same person we knew anymore. She's destroying you piece by piece and she doesn't care, Y/n/n. It's been six months since you walked in on them, and nothing has changed." A warm tear built up and fell off of my puffy eyelid. "You need to make a decision; because if this keeps up, there won't be any of your heart left for you to live with."

Shaking my head, I tried to reject every word that left her mouth. It felt like they were physical stabs to my chest, and I didn't want to deal with the pain. "What do you want me to do Laur? She's my wife! My best friend! She's literally a pillar of my entire existence! Do you just want me to.. not care anymore?"

"I'm not saying that, babe, but you gotta ask yourself." Her finger caught my chin, forcing me to gaze into her hypnotizing green eyes. I could see the sincerity and pain that she was feeling, and knowing that she was feeling pain too made me believe what she was saying. "How long are you going to be the only one that cares about your relationship?"

A sob ripped out of my chest; Rushing forward, I all but tackled Lauren to the ground as I weeped into her chest.

Front door opening only moments after we fell, Camila walked into the living room. She was holding a forever 21 bag in her hand, hair up in a bun, sunglasses sitting on top of her head, and her eyes shrewdly observing the seen. She flicked her gaze back and forth, only giving me a miniscule glance, before she settled on Lauren. "What's going on, Lauren?"

There was a pregnant pause, tension tangible in the air, before Lauren sheepishly pushed me off and got up. "I was just talking to Y/n, Camz."

Even though Camila only spoke briefly to me now, I could still read her like a book. Her jealousy was blazing brighter than Las Vegas. "I didn't know talking required touching like that." She narrowed her eyes, pitch dropping in restrained anger.

"I could say the same for you and Mahone." Lauren spat out, fury growing in defense to Camila's own.

When Camila took a threatening step forward, I knew it was my time to step in. "It was good talking to you, Lauren." I made sure to emphasize the word, shooting a small look Camila's way. "I'll text you later, okay?"

For a second, I thought Lauren would argue; her hands were balled into fists, and she was protectively standing in front of me, glaring at Camila. Then she relaxed her posture, making sure to hug me tightly and say goodbye before walking out of the door.

Though it was quiet again, the heavy atmosphere did not lighten at all. Camila refused to look at me, and staring closely at her I could see she was shaking. Finally, a noise broke the silence. "With my best friend. Had to get payback, huh?" I had gotten so used to not having any communication with her, that it took me a moment to realize she was talking to me.

I moved towards her, only to have her back up. "It's not like that, Mil-" I tried to explain, but I couldn't even finish my sentence before she was out of the door she had just came in through.

---------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure you want to do this, Y/n?" Dinah asked, hefting one of one of my bedroom mattresses unto her shoulders. "I mean, I know you have tons of reasons to do it, and your apartment is nice as hell, but.. separation is a big step."

I sat down the coffee table I was lugging into the living room, wiping sweat off of my heated forehead as I stretched my sore back. "No, this isn't something I want to do." I breathed. "It hasn't even been a full day away from her, and I already feel like I'm being split apart, Dinah." I felt my shoulders involuntarily shrug, anxiety running rampant through my veins. "I don't want to do this, but I need to. I need space to think."

I turned around, expecting to see Dinah looking at me in understanding, but she was nowhere to be seen. I searched around the spacious apartment, and found her standing in my studio. "Why do you need a studio, dawg?"

Scratching the back of my head, I moved forward, running my free hand across the cool steel of the sound board. "Well, ever since this shit started I've been writing and singing more. I just thought a space to cultivate those thoughts would be good, you know?"

Dinah's eyes were wide as saucers, her lips curling into a surprised smile. "You sing? Why have I never been told this!"

My body slumped as I realised that I had revealed my secret. "I don't tell anyone because I'm like 99 percent sure that I suck ass at singing. It's mostly something I kept to myself." My eyes studied the plush carpet, as I lowly whispered my next words. "Even Mila doesn't know about it."

"Well, I'm honored to be the first person to hear some of your songs then." She placed herself comfortably into a bean bag in the corner, staring expectantly at me.

I could feel my eyebrows scrunching together, my lips stretching in disbelief. "Yeah, no; who said I was showing you my music today? Or ever?"

"You did the second you told me you could sing," She smugly threw back, daring me to deny her claim, and even though I was a lawyer, I still couldn't beat Dinah Jane Hansen in a battle of will. I slugginly nodded my head in defeat, causing a cry of happiness to tumble out of her. "Don't show me no weak shit either, I want the goods."

Queing up the correct track, I grabbed my songbook and took a deep breath. I hadn't even recorded vocals for this song yet, but it was the only beat I had done so far. "So this is more rapping than singing, but you're gonna take what you can get." Holding up her hands in surrender, Dinah laughed and waited happily for me to start.

"Will you end my pain?
Will you take my life?
Will you bleed me out?
Will you hang me out to dry?
Will you take my soul in the midnight rain?
While I'm falling apart,
While I'm going."

I let the song overtake me. Heat building behind my eyes and hands shaking against my sides. By the time I finished I was openly crying, and I could hear the sniffles coming from Dinah.

I refused to open my eyes, even when the warm arms of my friend wrapped around me; her tears soaking a hot patch into my shirt. No words were spoken, but I could hear her loud and clear.

I wasn't alone in this agonizing time in my life, and the sooner I accepted the help from my close friends. The sooner I would recover from the gaping hole in my heart. The missing puzzle piece that was my best friend.

This is short, and long overdue, and kinda depressing as fuck, but at least it's here! *Nervous chuckle* Nah, I apologize for being gone for so long on this story! Thanks to a certain someone for reminding me about this story through PM's lol.

Don't forget to vote, and tell me how you guys liked it!