Chapter Fifteen

The next day came. Bisola sat in the living room, waiting for the yam she was boiling with Titi get done when she looked at Itunu again.

Yesterday, when she was with Bode and saw (or thought she did) Itunu behind the door, she wasn't even sure. And she wouldn't have really thought she saw her if it wasn't for the way Itunu was acting towards her today.

Nobody else could see it, but Itunu had been avoiding her gaze since. She was fidgety towards her and avoided talking to her. She didn't call her "pregnant woman" today. Whenever Bisola tried to talk to her, she pretended as if she didn't hear.

So, Bisola thought, she must have seen them last night.

So? So? She was only a child that didn't understand anything. She better not have been judging me in her mind. Bisola wondered if she should feel embarrassed, because she truly didn't. She knew Itunu wouldn't dare tell her husband.

Or would she?

Bisola kissed her teeth. She had to keep this situation under control, and fast.

Bisola walked into the kitchen to check on the yam. Titi was washing some plates in the sink. Bisola walked to the gas cooker, opened the pot of yam, saw that it was almost done and closed it back.

"Titi, go and bring some eggs from the store."

Titi nodded and left the kitchen.

She walked to the store---it was outside the house, an extra building beside the house--- and was about to enter when somebody touched her shoulder.

It was Bode.

She was frightened at first, but then she smiled. "Ah, Bode. You scared me."

"How are you?" He said.

"I'm fine. You're just enjoying."

He knew what she was talking about. She was doing all the work while he was having fun pretending he was sick.

He tried to take her mind off that, "You look beautiful today, like always." And then he stole a squeeze at her breast.

She slapped his hand away, but she secretly enjoyed it and wanted to stay for even more. She even considered it. But then she shook her head, "Bode, no. I have to get eggs. Mummy Dami is waiting."

Meanwhile in the kitchen, Bisola was alone, breathing in the scent of her food when she saw something.

Just then, Titi walked in.

"Titi," Bisola said, "You didn't tell me that Tamilore had a timetable. Does she use it?" The timetable was drawn on a cardboard. Bisola ran her hand over the surface. It had stew and ewedu stains on it and Bisola touched the ripped edge.

"When Oga and Madam first got married she used to use it Ma," Titi said.

"Okay," Bisola nodded. "Oya, come and break these eggs."

* * *

Later that day, Itunu was delighted when she saw her phone screen lit up,  checked the caller ID and saw that it was her mother. She picked the call happily.

"Finally," her mother said. "I've been trying to call you since all these days," her mother dragged out the "all these days, "And finally it goes through today. How are you?"

"I'm fine Mummy. How are you too? How's work? When are you coming back?"

They talked for a while, with only a few minor interruptions from the bad network. And then they were silent for a while.