The Final Chapter

Tamilore woke up that morning as naturally as possible, peeling her eyes open. She looked beside her, her husband was still sleeping. These days, she woke up so early.

The clock said eight-twelve. She stood up, slipped her feet into her slippers, and walked to the bathroom. There, she washed her face, brushed her teeth, and used the toilet. She wiped her hands and came out.

It wasn't too different from the way Modupe woke up, although thirst awakened her. She was parched and her throat felt dry, so she went to the bathroom and did her business, then went to the dining room in search of cold water. After drinking to her satisfaction, she decided to go outside to receive fresh air. When she got outside, she felt the cool morning air blow on her face, and she felt thankful. The gate keeper greeted her and she greeted him back, and the driver did the same thing. She felt good. Something had shifted in the atmosphere today---she knew it.

After walking around aimlessly for a while, she decided to go back inside. She didn't even feel hungry. Not yet, anyway. She sat on one of the sofas in the living room, enjoying her aloneness and peace and quiet.

Tamilore padded along the tiled floor of the hallway quietly as she led herself to the living room. She didn't even know why she came here, she just came. To her surprise, she saw her sister Modupe sitting on a sofa.

Modupe had her back to her, so she hadn't seen her yet. Tamilore wanted to be noticed, so she made a small sound with her mouth. Modupe turned and saw her. Tamilore felt a little afraid. As soon as Modupe saw that it was her, she turned away, the very second. Tamilore felt something crush in her.

Tamilore wasn't a softie either; she knew she could have just made a petty sound and gone somewhere else, but she missed her sister. She had offended Modupe some days ago, albeit unknowingly.

So she took slow steps towards her sister, stood at her back for a while, hoping she'd turn back and look at her. Modupe however didn't, but at least she didn't shoo her away, so that was something.

Tamilore went to her front. "Aunty Modupe..."

Modupe raised her gaze, looked at her. Tamilore almost melted.

"Sorry," she said meekly.

"Sorry for?"

Tamilore lowered her voice, "For what I said the other day." She actually sounded like a child. It amused Modupe.

Modupe smiled, but it was not a smile of happiness or agreement. It was one of those smiles you give when something is ironic, or something happens in a way you expect it to, or when you can't but accept something just because.

"It's okay."

Tamilore smiled. "Ahhhh, thank you Ma." She then hugged her.

"Sorry again," she added, sitting beside her.

"It's alright. I think I jumped into conclusion, and my anger may have been unnecessary. You...you're going through a lot now. It's not unnatural for you to...to say somethings...like that. I'm not angry."

Tamilore closed her eyes, then nodded.

"But there is one more thing you need to do," Modupe said.

Tamilore stayed silent, waiting for her to continue.

"You need to apologise to your husband's sister. I know you've not apologised to her."

Tamilore didn't even argue. She just made up with her sister, and she didn't want to take any steps back.

"True," she said. "When...she wakes up, I'll go and meet her."

Two hours later, Bisola woke up. She yawned and raised her head a little, looking at her daughter who was still sleeping soundly, her mouth slightly parted.