Chapter 8: Unfortunate Events

As Tanner pulled into the parking lot of the apartment building, I spotted Derek talking to Alexis, waving his arms back and forth with terror on his face. It was as if he tried to tell her something, but he kept getting frustrated because he was not getting the information that he needed.

As Tanner parked the truck in his assigned parking space, Derek approached him, saying something about a knife with a note on our apartment door. As I tried to comprehend the exchange between two men, the kids stayed close to me, asking why their uncle was upset.

"Kiddos, I don't know, but Uncle Tanner will find out. In the meantime, let's watch the movie that he had on for you all when we were driving around town," I said, turning on the movie.

As I turned in the seat, Tanner knocked on the window and motioned me to get out of the vehicle. I did so. An officer approached me with the knife and a piece of paper in his hands.

"Ma'am, I am sorry to bother you but do you recognize this knife or the writing on the paper?"

"Yes, sir. That looks like my husband's knife," I said as Derek stood by me.

"Ma'am, are you sure that this is your husband knife?" the police officer said.

"Yes, sir. I am one hundred percent sure. Do you have any idea as to when this incident happened?"

"At the moment we are looking into the security footage. As soon as we find anything out, we will be sure to let you know. For the rest of the night, I will have more rolling patrols in this area."

As I went to check on my kids in Tanner's truck, Derek pulled the officer to the side to speak with him privately.

I turned on my heel and said, "You know, maybe it would have been better if I had stayed with Jace."

"Don't say that. You don't mean it, do you?"

"This is my best, don't you understand? I'm doing my best, yet I'm still failing! Jace is never going to stop until he gets us back home in Arizona with him!" I said.

As I headed to the truck, Tanner said to me, "For you, I'd do anything. You have to ask."

As I got inside the truck, Tears streamed down my face. My hands shook so much that I couldn't open the door. I sat on the ground by the vehicle with my head between my legs trying to get myself under control when someone came beside me.

"Everything is temporary; this is merely one of those things," the person said.

"I'm so tired of this," I said, seeing Derek sitting beside me.

"Yeah, but in the end, you will prove to Jace that you don't need him."