four

I'm a coward. A big, stinking coward. After I saw Spencer look me in the eyes with that cold dead stare I only saw when he was angry at me, I couldn't handle it, so I ran and hid in the car. I'm okay if I'm a coward though, at least he didn't do anything, so I'm fine. I guess the confrontation wasn't much because I was soon followed by Evan and Axel. We rode in silence to the house; the whole time my brother's knuckles were white as he gripped the steering wheel. Evan kept turning around to check on me. Once we got home, Evan pulled my brother aside and it seemed as though his voice destroyed the anger in Axel's eyes. I ran inside to change into another all-black number, but with a real bra and shorts this time. My stomach had already begun to bruise, but it wasn't awful.

A few minutes later, I got into Evan's Civic where we listened to exclusively Panic! At The Disco, our favorite band. That's how I met him actually.

It was the summer before my brother's freshman year and the two of us were at the state fair. I was wearing black shorts, combat boots, and a Panic! cutoff, emo, yes, and I was wearing headphones playing, of course, Panic! and ran into Evan on the way to the bathroom and we just started talking about how hot Brendon Urie is and we were both fangirling. Yes, the football player was fangirling about a guy who performed the Ducktales theme song on The Tonight Show. He had a pride bracelet on, so I didn't know if he was gay or just an ally, but I decided to introduce him my brother and they hit it off instantly. I became the third wheel that night, the night that ended just like Love, Simon.

After their make out on the Ferris Wheel, my brother was devastated because he figured that Evan was from Cleveland, NC, not Charlotte. At the beginning of the football practices their freshman year, he and Evan reconnected and I've been stuck with the lovebirds for two years.

"Well you're deep in thought," Evan said. I looked over at him and smiled.

"Just thinking about that the only reason, you and my brother are together is because of this God among men," I replied, gesturing toward the radio. Evan blushed and let a big grin take over his face. "So, I didn't want to ask my brother because he would probably crash the car, but what happened with Spencer."

"Your brother threatened him about coming near you, and then Spencer whispered something I didn't quite catch, but whatever it was, Axel and Nate looked like they were gonna kill him. I got Axel out of there and Brent and Jason held Nate back. I don't know what happened after that," Evan answered.

"Spencer is such a little bitch baby!" I groaned.

"That's not the wording I would've chosen but sure," Evan mumbled. "When is Sarah getting here?"

We pulled into the parking lot just then. "She said that her sister dropped her off and that she is already inside," I replied, double checking the text she sent. We walked in and were greeted by the lovely Korean owners that I have been seeing for years. I always get my nails done for band concerts, so I'm here a lot. Yes, I'm a band nerd. You know what's even worse? I'm in the marching band. I was rookie of the year my first season. I'm just that amazing.

I walked over to where Sarah was waiting for her tub to be filled and gave her a hug.

"Oh my god! I missed you so much!" She squealed.

"You saw me yesterday," I retorted.

I wasn't the most affectionate of people. There are only like ten people I let hug me, and I don't love touching everyone. Especially my lower back. It's creepy when forty-year-old men think it's acceptable. Like, yes, I'm wearing a dress with a low cut back, but that doesn't mean you can touch it. Both of my parents are art dealers, so we're constantly going to events and they're constantly traveling.

"I know, but I can still miss you," she replied.

Evan popped his head into our conversation, "You're such a bitch sometimes, Em."

"I know, I'm working on it. Anyway, what colors is everyone getting?"

*******

thanks for reading

stay tuned

IG: @ sophie.mueller_