five

Two hours and one flask (Sarah's) later, I was a little tipsy, admiring my black nails, and crying to Northern Downpour on the way home. "It's just so sad. Why did John and Ryan have to go?"

"You are hilarious when you're drunk," Evan said through hysterical laughter. 

I shook my head violently. "I am not drunk. I'm gonna say Dr. Strange's name, ready? You'll see that I'm not drunk, I'm happy."

"Go for it," he encouraged.

"Benadryl Cramplescrump!" I exclaimed in a British accent.

"You're definitely drunk. Axel is gonna be pissed at me for letting you," Evan complained.

"He loves you, you're fine," I replied. We pulled into our driveway to be met with the guys playing shirts and skins basketball. I love that my brother has hot friends, and that's not just drunk Emily talking.

I eyed Nate and Brent, who were on the skins side. Never mind, I'm definitely drunk, I'm seeing them as heavenly bodies with an aura.

I stumbled out of the car and into the driveway. I dropped my shoes and started giggling. Why can't my dumb shoes fly? I need to make that happen. They would have tiny lil wings, like that god, Herpes. All of the guys turned their heads to see me on the ground, hysterically laughing at my shoes.

Evan looked like he was going to kill me. Axel came over to us, looking less angry than earlier, so more like the fourth day of a period, not the first when there's no ice cream in the house.

"Is she drunk?" Axel asked Evan. Evan glared over at me and was about to reply, but drunk Emily had other plans.

"I'm not drunk. I promise. See," I said, waving my hand around and following it with my whole head. "Can I play?"

"You're drunk, let's get you inside," Axel responded without laughing, unlike the Brent and Jason.

I shook my head. "I can play, I promise." And with that, I pulled my shirt off, revealing my ill-fitting bra. Everyone looked shocked, but I ignored it. It was probably because of the almost black bruise covering my stomach. Brent looked away, feeling guilty, but everyone else kept their eyes trained on me with a look of pure shock. "Pass the damn ball dammit!"

Axel came over to where I stood with my arms out and threw me over his shoulder. "Put me down or I'll scream!" I threatened.

He had already taken me inside and thrown me down on the basement couch. "Sleep it off. You've got two hours until Rudy gets here, so get sober."

I was about to let out a cry of protest, except my body had other ideas. The last thing I felt was someone drape a blanket over my half-naked body.

***

I felt like there was an earthquake inside me, maybe it was outside. I felt shaking. Is it an Earthquake? No, this North Carolina, worst we get is a few inches of snow and maybe some minor flooding once or twice a year. I opened my eyes to see Nate sitting on the edge of the couch.

"Oh god, what time is it?" I asked. My throat felt like the Sahara Desert.

"Six, Rudy just got here. You head upstairs and shower, everyone's coming down here," he replied.

I scoffed. "Are you telling me I smell bad?"

"No, you smell like tequila," he replied. I tried to arise from the two-decade-old, lumpy couch, but I couldn't. I put my hands out in front of me and Nate stood up and pulled me with him.

It was quite abrupt, so my headache took primary concern, not the fact that our lips were inches apart. "I need to get some Advil. Are they up in the family room?"