nine

When Axel and I were little, my parents. were both still artists. Nate's parents were musicians, his dad in a rock band and his mom a professional violinist (I guess opposites attract), so they were all wild when we were small. When it was time for us to be in school, my parents both cracked down. They owned a gallery for a while before becoming art dealers, so now all they do is travel. Nate's dad, also named Axel, became an English teacher, while his mom, Natasha, continued to play with the Charlotte Symphony.

It was rare that all four of them were in town, so when they were, we had a family dinner. I always cooked with the assistance of Axel Sr. and my mom.

Once Nate and I got over to my house, I immediately started on cooking/ homework. Multitasking! Yay. I had decided on something easy. Breakfast for dinner. I was making pancakes, eggs, bacon, French toast, coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, breakfast sausage corn dogs, and sorbet for dessert.

I really liked cooking. It was calming. Except when three teenage boys are peering over your shoulder for every waking second.

"Can we do anything to help?" Evan asked.

"Yes, all of you, but Nate who is expertly making our beverages can leave me alone. You're crowding me," I groaned as I flipped the pancakes on the griddle. "Oh, I know something you can do, start doing the dishes."

"We'll wait until after we've eaten," Axel replied. Evan looked like he wanted to help, but Axel dragged him into his room.

"Gross, they're in love," I muttered to myself as I placed the pancake batter to the side and got started on the French toast dredge.

"I know, ew," Nate whispered in my ear. I couldn't help but giggle.

"Can you start on the bacon," I asked.

"You're just going to have to redo it," he countered.

"But, this way, we could discover if you have magical bacon abilities, like your amazing orange squeezing talents," I replied.

Nate rolled his eyes. "Fine, just because you're cute."

I have a love/hate relationship with how he makes me feel. I love how it feels, I hate that I feel it. The kitchen door opened and I turned to see Nate's parents.

"Hey, Emily!" Natasha greeted.

"Oh, it's so good to see you guys. It feels like it's been forever," I responded. "My parents just landed and Rudy is picking them up, so they'll be here in an hour. I wouldn't go say hi to Axel, he and Evan just went into his room. Could you guys help your son out? He claims that he doesn't know how to make bacon."

"He should know how," Axel Sr. replied before Nate jabbed him in the side. "Maybe he wanted to be the damsel in distress."

Nate glared at his dad before returning to his bacon. I smiled back at him and continued on with what I was doing. "Feel free to jump in or turn on the tv and hang out."

Axel Sr. dove right into making the corn dogs. Natasha broke open the champagne and made mimosas for us. Nate and I looked at each other knowingly, thanking whatever heavenly bodies existed that we have cool parents.

"How has band been Emily?" Axel Sr. asked.

"It's been really good. I'm going to the top class next year, and I just made section leader for marching band," I replied.

Natasha smiled. She was such an idol for me. I didn't want to go completely professional, but I did want to have the combination of their jobs and become a high school band teacher. "I'm so happy to hear that."

We continued to talk about how everyone's lives were going until Axel and Evan resurfaced and they started talking about stuff. Nate and I began to set the table for the nine of us.

"You seem kind of off tonight," Nate stated.

I shook my head. "I'm just tired. I've got to get a lot of stuff done after dinner and should've practiced before dinner but I completely forgot."

"I promise to get you home immediately tomorrow and force you to practice. Oh, don't you have that English paper due tomorrow?" Nate asked.

"Shit, thank you for reminding me. I'm totally gonna fail," I groaned, knocking my head into the wall.

Nate came over to where I was stressing and turned me around to face him. "I already finished my homework, so I can stay after and help you with it. I had Mrs. Ingram last year, I know what she's looking for."

"Thank you for being so amazing," I praised in a hushed tone.

"My pleasure, Em," Nate replied, moving closer.

I wanted to lean in further, so bad, but then cancer came to my mind and my parents showed up at the door. I deserted Nate in his place and ran to the kitchen door.

"Dad!" I squealed. I'm still a little girl, and even though I saw my parents four days ago, I still missed them so, so much, especially because of the whole cancer thing. They originally didn't want to go on this trip, but I told them that Rudy was here, and so were the Hunt's, who I haven't told yet and that they don't have to worry yet.

"Pumpkin," my dad replied, giving me a bone-crushing hug. A massive smile took over my face. Once my dad finally released me, I ran over to my mom and gave her an even bigger hug. Everyone was super smiley and cheerful, a good, happy environment.

After we all said our hello's, I brought the rest of the food in and we started digging into the plethora of dishes. We smiled over funny stories about the guys, we argued over who was better, The Beatles or Earth, Wind & Fire, to which Axel Sr. said they were a great band to conceive to, and all the adults started to laugh when a panicked look took over his face, and we complained about how we never get to see each other.

Once dinner was done, Evan and Axel did the dishes, as promised. All of the adults were talking in the family room about something, and Nate and I retired to my room to work on my paper.

"I don't know how to start, that's the problem," I complained, flopping down on my bed. "I'm not a good writer!"

"You compose award-winning music for the band, Em, you can write a stupid English paper," Nate encouraged.

I pouted on my bed, "no I can't."

Nate got up and sat beside me with my laptop. "What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of this assignment?"

"That is a load of bullshit, and that this whole book is bullshit," I groaned, looking up at Nate.

"Good, now write," he replied, handing me my laptop with a blank document. I thought to myself that it's just like sheet music. And I composed the most angsty English paper in the history of English papers. 

*******

thanks for reading

stay tuned

IG: @ sophie.mueller_