24. Heaven couldn't wait for you

24.

               "Alec!"

              I jumped from Alec as the banging on the door increased.

I almost kissed a noble.

              "Yo Alec!"

              Alec swung the door open, "Why the fuck you bangin' on my door for nigga!"

              Detrice chest rose and then fell as he put his arm on the wall catching his breath, "It's Trina man."

               In that moment, fear grabbed me by my tongue and dried out my mouth. It choked out me, I couldn't breathe. My heart was no longer beating crazy because of an almost kiss. My fist clenched around the sheets as every part of me goes on pause while my thoughts catch up, not Trina, she's fine.

              "What about her?"

              His mouth remained in a grim line amid his stubble. "S-he ODed man."

              I shot up as a firecracker went off under me and leapt towards Detrice. I tried to swallow my anger but seeing his face I couldn't hold it in. All that rage came out faster than magma and just as destructive.

            I ran up on him and grabbed his shirt with both of my hands, pushing him against the wall, "You bitch! If she dies you die!" Alec pried me off of him as I kicked trying to get back to him.

            A cruel sneer formed onto Detrice face, he pointed his finger in my face as Alec held both of my arms, "Don't you forget who I am little girl!"

            He only fueled the fire that was burning inside of me. I thought of how alone Katrina felt and all she had to fall back was this waste of space. I breathe through my nose and then spat right on his face.

            Detrice immediately reacted by running up on me and he would've done some serious damage if Alec didn't intervene. "You hurt her, you will regret it." Alec then shoved him back, "Let's go Ire."

             I felt like I was suffocating. I pull my eyes from the white polished floor to catch a glimpse of the hallway that stretches beyond. I could not think straight, this hospital was as comfortable as a train station. Busy, loud, and overall depressing. She is in critical condition.

             I closed my eyes and licked my lips. Breathe.

           The exhaustion appeared in the older man's eyes, he was Duke's surgeon. He shook his head slowly.

            I ripped my eyes open. My breathing starting coming into gasps as I squeezed Alec's thigh unknowingly. My heart was hammering, it was going to happen again. My best friend is dead, she's dead and she will never come back. My head was a carousel of fears spinning out of control, I was going to lose Katrina.

            Alec was speaking but my mind was fuzzy, his words were distance and muffled. Every single feeling and emotion I felt when Duke's dead body laid in one of these rooms bubbled up from my stomach. It was too much for my fragile heart. I could not handle more grief, it would kill me.

           So I ran.

            I went straight out the hospital doors into the parking lot. I took a deep breath as I doubled over and puked. I sobbed as I wiped my mouth. A new wave of agony crashed into my chest as I wailed, Alec appeared right in time as my legs gave out. He embraced me and rubbed my back in circular motions.

           "Ire, breathe baby girl." He kissed my forehead as I sunk into his warmth. As moments passed, my heart returned to normal and my eyes were finally free from tears but oh, how sad I felt. I left Alec's arm and gazed into his beautiful soft, brown eyes. Both of my hands reached to his cheeks, holding them there. Alec's facial expression held content, like he wouldn't want to be anywhere else but touching me─holding me.

           My hands fell slowly, "I wish I never met you. I hate you."

           Alec's face fell as he staggered back, "You're hurt. You don't mean that shordie."

            I shoved his chest, "No! If you had never stumbled into my life I would not suddenly be so─so fearful, I wouldn't have to look over my shoulder everywhere I go! I wouldn't jump at a door slam or any kind of loud noise. I wouldn't have my best friend in the hospital. I hate you Alec Hood!"

            "─Look." He stepped closer, desperately searching my eyes for any regret but there simply was none. I was sure.

            "Leave!" At this moment my inside curled at the sight of him. My voice wasn't above a whisper as I glanced at Alec before turning. "I don't want you near me again."

             My parents, Katrina's loved ones, and Lola showed up right in time. They surrounded me immediately asking me questions. I just nodded absentmindedly as Alec's figure disappeared. I did the right thing.

              I was going to be sick again.