And I Promise I Will

"You'll be playing with fire, Harry." Griphook slit his eyes and stared with a heavy intensity. "Be careful that you do not burn."

"Hermione! Come down! Breakfast's ready!" The gentle voice carried to the second floor where a yawning brunette was found to be brushing out the tangles of her hair.

She yanked the comb through her hair, only to have whatever semblance of put together change to a frizzy mess. Sighing, she set the comb down before turning for down the stairs.

Summer had just just started, and Hermione had swapped the garb of robes for loose T-shirt's and shorts. It felt amazing to simply have her skin meet the sun, and of course, summer meant she could spend time with her parents.

One of the things she hated giving up for the magical world was her parents. They had insisted, of course, that she go to Hogwarts. A new world, they called it. She remembered that day very clearly- they were so happy for her, her mum had given her an ice cream cone and her dad a proud hug. But when they found out that it was a boarding school, not even their pride or excitement could mask their sadness.

"There you are Hermione," said Emma Granger. She was very much like her daughter in looks, though her face was fuller and her hair lay flat. "I hope you don't make a habit out of sleeping in. We do miss your company while you are gone."

Hermione studied her mother carefully. Her cheeks had grown creased and hidden in her hair were glinting strands of silver.

"No mom, I'll be down in time. I was just a bit tired." Emma nodded, settling down to relax in a nearby chair, and pulling it out, grabbing a glass of milk. Her father walked in, kissing both their cheeks, and began at the stove to make some pancakes. The batter sizzled slightly, and everytime he flipped one to discover a golden side, he whistled a small tune. Her mother drummed her fingers against the table, watching through the glass screen. Watching this shook Hermione. This was a normal routine, and she felt so out of place. There was nothing normal of the lack of cacophony and quiet setting, or the lack of ghosts floating or candle lit tables. It was familiar and comfortable, but she didn't know if she could call it home anymore.

It was times like these when she felt unable to melt into normality that she regretted accepting her Hogwarts invitation. And yet, here she was, sitting in a chair that creaked oddly, feeling so conscious of the fact normal seemed insane to her.

"My little girl is back. We missed you so much, Hermione. We have the summer together now." Dan's eyes crinkled as he smiled. Hermione nodded, trying to smile without showing her sadness. How could she ever fit back into her parents' lives? Magic had changed her and altered her every perception, and at the moment, all she wanted to do was forget and twist back to normal.

It was a crooked sort of life, never really being a true  member of one society or another. She was second in the wizarding world, and she could not find herself amongst the muggle world. She was stuck between the two sides of the same moon. Stretching her legs and placing them on her mom's lap, Hermione sighed softly.

The window brought in a burst of light as the curtains were drawn, and Hermione focused on the warmth and tried to pretend she was just like anyone, enjoying a summer morning.

xXxXxXx

Dobby was a good elf.

It was a hard thing to admit, after he tricked his Malfoy to freeing him, but Dobby was so very tired of their shouts and punishments. One day, after baby Malfoy had broken a vase, he had blamed it on Dobby, and like a good elf, Dobby had ironed his ears. Master Malfoy had been most displeased.

Another time Mistress Malfoy was yelling at poor Dobby because her dress had a crease. Dobby couldn't tell Mistress it was because Mistress sat on it without noticing. When Dobby tried to speak, Mistress's eyes turned gray like a storm and shouted at Dobby until Do by was sure his great grandchildren would be deaf. She then proceeded to order Dobby to sleep in the oven with the baking bread that night. Dobby burnt his arms seven times.