Familiars and Wands

Walking out of the bank and breathing in the air, the cold felt like fire. Harry turned around slowly. No one seemed to notice him. Not any of the shoppers who walked in brisk steps, nor the few kids near the fountain who were happily splashing each other, shrieking when the water wet their clothes.

"Your mother left specific instruction for these eggs. She feared that as you grew older, you would have deceitful friends, so she spelled the eggs so that the moment you touch one, the others go to your true friends." Griphook spoke softly as he touched on a more sensitive matter. He saw Harry's eyes well with tears. In truth- and it was an odd thing to notice, the tears made his eyes shine like a leaf after a light rain.

His voice was husky as he spoke. "Even in death, she was looking out for me. My mother was amazing."

Griphook nodded from behind his desk. "She was, Harry. She was incredibly talented, and a friend to the goblins. Most wizards do not make it past mediocrity."

Harry offered a watery chuckle, and took a minute to compose himself. It was embarrassing, really, to keep setting off like this. He muttered a quick thanks at the goblin's patience, and wiped his eyes with a sleeve. After a few deep breaths, his eyes felt sore but he blinked and kept the unfamiliar sensation in the back of his mind.

"How will I know who receives the eggs? Can I attach a letter to them or something?" I don't want to keep guessing about this all summer." He thought Ron and Hermione would get the remaining eggs, and maybe Ginny. However, after what Griphook had told him, Harry wasn't willing to bet on anyone just yet.

Griphook nodded and spelled for some writing utensils and paper. He stuck the brief letters on the eggs with a goblin variation of a sticking charm. "Now simply touch your egg, and the others will disappear to their owners."

Harry offered a brief nod, before placing his hand on his egg, the second one to the right. The moment he did so, it pulsed an immense heat, and the other eggs disappeared with a faint 'pop'.

"It's warm," Harry whispered. To the egg, he pressed his lips against the shell. "Your so warm." The egg flashed a bright white, before vibrating and suddenly relaxing in his hands. It's stayed, unlike the others.

"It recognizes you as the owner," Griphook explained. He handed Harry a punch for the egg.

Harry laughed slightly giddy, and cradled the egg to his chest. "Will Dumbledore be able to take my true familiar away?" He asked anxiously.

Griphool frowned. "No. No wizard can interfere with a true familiar. Even if he tried, your familiar can simply aparate to you. The bond between a true familiar and its human is something no magic can break. Now, I want to explain one more thing about your mother's trunk."

He walked over to the trunk and waved his bony hand over the top, at the carved ancient runes. "Your mother spelled the trunk to proceed through time faster than normal. She told me that once you have and activated the runes, which can be done so through keying your blood into the wards, a day in the world would be roughly equivalent to a month in the trunk." Ragnok snapped his head up and looked at Harry. "In my opinion, this arrangement would be optimal for training. But you might want to get a house elf to get you food. They are the only creatures that can stay in sync between the time differences." 

Harry felt a smile creep up his face, the biggest one he had worn since Sirius. "I plan on doing just that, Griphook. By the time I am done, I will no longer be weak. I will be  Lord Potter-Black, and I plan on protecting all, be it wizard, goblin, or whoever. I plan on changing the world."

Griphook gasped slightly as Harry was engulfed in a faint aura. "That's a very powerful promise, Harry. Do you really mean it?" Harry nodded immediately. and Griphook smirked, twisting his face.