Chapter 2 : The crazy woman

So Hyeon

I roamed the busy street in my heavy wedding dress, occasionally tugging on the long veil as it got caught up in the wind. Although it was a modern styled concept – assured many times by the planner – I still had trouble moving about with the excessive folds in the skirt.

Unbidden, memories of my happy moments with Jun Hyung kept playing on repeat and it was taking everything I had to not burst out in tears again. I scarcely noticed as people around me avoided me, muttering I must be some crazy woman with my wedding dress and smeared make up.

I smiled at my memory of crushing on Jun Hyung during high school.

Of trying to cheer him;

“Oppa, come on. Don’t sulk!” I tried cheering up a sullen looking Jun Hyung as he sat on the window sill in his class.

Of constantly shadowing him as he walked home from school;

“Oppa….where are you going? Can I follow you?” I trotted after him as he kept silent, ignoring me as always.

Of the time where he helped me when I fell after being bullied;

“Hey, you ok?” I nodded, wiping tear stains from my cheek. He sighed. “Stay by my side, I’ll protect you.”

Of our first kiss;

“Oppa, are we dating? I mean – it doesn’t feel like we’re actually a couple or anything,” I asked him as he smiled at me in amusement. “I’m not complaining, just – “ I shut up as he suddenly kissed me on the lips.

Of my continued loyalty during his college years;

“Oppa, your class should have ended half an hour ago. Where were you? I’ve been waiting outside for you.” I pouted as he shrugged and tousled my hair playfully.

And of my reluctance to leave his side – willing to endure long walks to the bus stop with him;

“It’s cold tonight oppa, you should dress more warmly.” I offered him my favourite scarf to wear.

My eyes started watering again as I reached a random bus stop and overcome with emotion, I burst out crying again.

Young Jae

I felt like patting myself on the back and saying, ‘Well done, Young Jae-ah!’ as I practically strutted out of the building feeling proud of myself.

Walking up to the lot where I parked my car, I took out my keys and pressed the alarm – nothing – only then did I realise that my car was missing.

“What the – “ I turned frantically around in search of my car.

I must have made a comical sight as I turned in circles and searched high and low for my car as some passer-by sniggered at my actions.

I was 100% sure this was where I parked it. I even recreated the scene by acting out how I had parked and gotten out of my car – just to be sure. Dread filled my heart as I noticed my dad’s secretary nearby.

“Surely not…” I muttered to myself in disbelief.

He approached me calmly with a stoic look on his face as I furiously asked him if this was his doing.  Instead of answering me, he pulled out a mini tab and motioned me to press ‘play’ on the video.

It was a video message from my dad. How spectacular, I thought sarcastically.

“Son, based on our conversation yesterday I have taken some drastic measures to ensure that you behave.” He cleared his throat. “This means I’m confiscating all your possessions; car, money, cards – you name it – I am taking everything until you prove yourself before your birthday. For now, you need to learn the true value of life.”