Chapter 6 : Let go or hold on? -FINAL-

So Hyeon

I walked back to the mansion as quickly as I could. The gravelled grounds making me stumble once or twice in my heels. I was mumbling to myself the whole time.

“He really loves me? Impossible –“ I replayed his confession in my mind and felt my heart skip a beat. I stopped midway and turned around to go back to him.

I must tell him how I feel too.

But what about Jun Hyung oppa? A voice questioned in my head. I stopped again and frowned, recalling his confession and need of a second chance. Wringing my hands in frustration, I turned back to the direction of the house.

Once again my steps faltered as another thought popped in my head.

Why should I care? After all he has done to me…I should be selfish for once too.

I turned towards Young Jae’s direction again; contemplating my choices. What should I do? I really had no idea. An image of Jun Hyung oppa’s pained expression crept into my mind and I finally sighed, making my decision. I just couldn’t hurt him.

I turned decisively for the last time and walked back to the house.

**********

“Appa…” I called out to my father as I approached him. The two older men were no longer bickering but were laughing and joking about old times instead.

He beckoned me to come over. “Where did you run off to this time?”

Before I could answer, Young Jae’s dad cut in and patted my arm. “Don’t worry, there are better men waiting for you out there.” He said trying to cheer me up.

I grimaced and managed a polite nod as my father nudged him to stop.

“Ooof – what?” he rubbed his ribs. At my father’s frown, he realised his mistake and cleared his throat. “I wonder where my son went. Please excuse me.” He said before walking away.

I turned to my father and whispered urgently to him. “Appa…can I go home, please?” I shook his arm slightly to get his attention. “I’m really tired.”

He ignored me and pushed me to the buffet table instead. “Why don’t you eat before you go.” He suggested hurriedly. I sighed and complied by filling my plate with random pastries. Under the monitoring of my father, I stuffed a fruit tart into my mouth to prove I was eating and he beamed at me.

Mouth still stuffed with the tart, I saw Young Jae entering through the patio doors, his gaze scanning the room. Upon seeing me, he started heading towards me and I had a hard time swallowing the last of the tart in my mouth. What was he doing? Why is he targeting me? I thought nervously.

To my utter relief, he was blocked halfway by his dad, who then dragged him away for more introductions around the room. My father handed me a glass of punch as I started choking on the tart. He chided me on my eating habits before resuming his conversation with a couple nearby.

I scowled at his back before setting down my plate and walking to a corner to sulk. The least he could do was allow me to go home. A waiter passed by and I grabbed a flute of champagne off the tray. I don’t usually drink but tonight was an exception. I needed a dose of alcohol to cure my nerves.

Without meaning to, I caught snippets of conversation from a group of ladies standing nearby.

“He’s an heir to one of the top ranked companies! Of course he’s a good catch.”

“He is really good looking too…”

“I heard he’s a bad boy and his attitude is terrible!”