Chapter 4 : The truth of things

So Hyeon

“I can’t believe you’re finally back. Do you know how worried we were?!” AiLee exclaimed, a concern look marring her usually cheerful face.

I sighed for the third time that day. “It was only a few days….and I did text you to inform I was fine.”

“You may text me a hundred times and I’ll still be worried!” she frowned. “You just walked out that door and disappeared, So Hyeon-ah. What was I to think?”

I glanced at her and was surprised to see tears forming in her eyes. “Hey…. I am really sorry ok. I just kind of…lost it that day. I’m really, truly sorry.” I squeezed her hand in comfort.

She smiled tearfully. “Don’t you ever do that again.”

“Do what? Get jilted?” I joked. AiLee’s eyes widened at my comment. I guess I was shocked as well – it wasn’t so painful anymore to talk about getting jilted. The stab of betrayal was still there but the pain and humiliation was absent. And it wasn’t even a week had past.

“Here you go! I brought you your favourite ice cream!” my father strode in and placed a small tub on the table.

“Appa! I told you I’m fine. You didn’t have to get me ice cream.” I cried out in exasperation. My father has been fussing all over me since I arrived home in the wee hours of the morning. All thoughts of getting some sleep flew out the window when he came to check on me every five minutes to see if I needed anything. Next thing I knew, AiLee was bounding on the bed and hugging me tightly.

I was grateful, I really was. But all the attention was grating on my nerves when all I wanted to do was be alone and think. Something didn’t feel right and it was bothering me.

“Nonsense,” my father said as he nudged the ice cream tub nearer to me. “You look pale, maybe some ice cream will perk you up!”

I humoured him and took the offered tub. Opening the lid, I scooped out a big helping and shoved it into my mouth. Ah crap – brain freeze! I winced at the pain and when I opened my eyes, father and AiLee were staring at me expectantly.

“Err…that was yummy?” I said carefully. They broke into smiles. No offense, but their attention was creeping me out. I glanced at my watch and gasped. I was supposed to meet oppa and here I was, still not changed.

“Ok, both of you out. I need to change.” I shooed them away.

“What? Where are you going?” AiLee exclaimed.

“I need to see Jun Hyung oppa.” I replied calmly.

“What?!” Both of them yelled.

“No. I won’t allow it!” father said angrily

“Yeah, So Hyeon – he is like public enemy No.1 now…” AiLee frowned

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. We just need to talk ok. I know what I’m doing.” I implored to both of them.

Father snatched away the ice cream tub from my hands and walked out, sulking. AiLee bit her lips in a worried fashion, finally nodding.

“Ok, but we need to talk too. I want to know everything!” she giggled and hopped off the bed. “I’ll tell Dae Hyun you’re safe and sound.” She smiled and skipped happily out my room.

“Wait!” I called after her. “Who the hell is Dae Hyun?!”

She popped her head back in and blushed. “Oh, just some guy I’ve been seeing. Seems like his friend ran off and went missing without a word too” I raised my brow at her “…he’s just a friend!” she declared quickly before I could say anything and rushed off.