Chapter 3 : This feeling

Young Jae

“Don’t worry, we’ll get a tow truck for your car,” the motel owner told us before pointing out the direction we should be heading to. “You can hitch a ride from here to the next town. It’s not that far.”

“Thank you!” SH said cheerfully. He merely grunted and went back to his work. “Let’s go, let’s go!” she exclaimed excitedly, dragging me along.

I am not a morning person. I detested waking up when the sun was barely out and the air still chilly. But there was something I detested more and that was – a morning person.

“Hurry up!” she called out in a sing song voice, smiling at me.

Make that an annoyingly cheerful morning person.

I groaned as she tugged my arm forcefully towards a waiting car. “I’ve already got us a ride!”

“How exciting,” I drawled out without any enthusiasm.

She ignored my grumpiness and got into the seat beside me – after forcefully shoving me in first – and I stifled a yawn. “What happened to your ankle?” I asked her.

“My ankle? It’s fine.” She eyed me innocently.

“Do you have an amazing healing ability or something? Because you seemed in awful lot of pain yesterday.” I narrowed my eyes at her. She didn’t even had the decency to look guilty but merely shrugged and stared out the window.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you – I’ve always wanted to be an actress and took acting lessons – until I decided to help my father’s business.” She turned back to me and smiled widely.

“Wait,” I frowned, trying to make sense of what she was hinting to me. “ – are you saying that you faked your injury last night?!”

She looked taken aback by my reaction and surreptitiously glanced toward the driver in front. He acted indifferently. “Shush – there’s no need to raise your tone! So I exaggerated a bit, sorry.” She pouted and grumbled, “If I knew you were such a spoil sport, I wouldn’t have done it ok?” she crossed her arms and turned her attention to the window again.

Damn – what was wrong with me? I blame the early morning wake up call. I told you I wasn’t a morning person. Also, maybe it was the fact that because of her stupid joke, these irrational feelings are bubbling within me. I blame her for that.

It was a quiet ride and we maintained an awkward silence the whole way. SH with her pouting and me with my sulking.  However, that didn’t stop me from stealing glances at her throughout the ride. Last night kept replaying in my mind.

We had gone back to the motel and she was half asleep when I placed her on the bed. Looking up groggily, she had pointed to me and reminded me to not try anything stupid while she slept. I had scoffed and thrown a pillow at her while she giggled. When I came out from the bathroom, she was already fast asleep and without meaning to I had crouched beside the bed to watch her sleeping face.

It was etched with sadness and she frowned occasionally. I could only guess what she must be dreaming about. My suspicions were confirmed when a tear fell and she called out his name softly. Pain and anger wrenched in my heart for her sake and the next thing I knew I was tenderly wiping her tears away.

I seriously have no idea what was wrong with me.

**********

“Oh god. We’re here.” She mumbled nervously as we stepped out from the car.