Truth (7)

"Are you fine now?" Blake whispered in my ear. He was still close to me holding my hand.

Without any rush I took a step away from him. He was puzzled and in his eyes, I saw true concern and fear.

"I'm good now," I said in a low, shaky voice, "Thank you"

"What was that Liv?" He asked, exasperated still scared of what he had just witnessed.

"A panic attack" I replied, turning my back to him. I realized we were already home. "I have those from time to time" I explained further.

"Why do you have them?" He sounded more worried than before. He walked beside me and turned me around. I couldn't tell him. Not yet.

"A lot happened" I replied tiredly. I gave him a small apologetic smile and came up with an excuse. “I’m tired from the flight and work in the stables”

I yawn and smile at him. I tried to find the way to make my legs move towards the house, but there was a force holding us in our places. He stared at me for ten seconds not convinced of my pathetic excuse. I felt nervous, almost paranoid that he could somehow sense it was something more.

He looked at his feet and sighed scratching his neck. He was about to say something when his phone interrupted us. He rolled his eyes and bit his lower lip as he searched for it in his pocket. I took that chance to get out of the trance I was in.

He looked at the screen and put his phone back in his jeans as he locked his tired vulnerable gaze with mine. After checking the caller his attitude changed. I could tell by the way his shoulders tensed up when he realized how close we were.

“I have to go. Take care Liv” he said coldly walking a few steps away from me.

“Yeah, you too Blake” I said, disappointed at his sudden change. He noticed my confusion and turned around when he was about to get in his truck.

“ You left for too long…” he stated with resentment and sadness in his voice. He complained with nostalgia and I knew he was angry at how my decisions changed his future. Our future.

   He didn't let me say anything else, he climbed in the truck. There was nothing I could say to change the past ten years. I looked at the headlights as he drove out of the ranch.

I made my way to the house and stepped in. I didn't see dad and walked directly to my room. I tried not to make any noise. Dad always liked a silent house. This was probably the reason he didn't have any more kids.

I went to my room and started to take my shirt off careful of not to hurt myself. 

“Is that you Liv?” dad asked, bursting into the room.

I was facing the bathroom door ready to look for the painkillers and antibiotics. Somehow, without seeing his face I felt his tension and confusion by the way he took a sharp deep breath. He didn't say a word. I knew he saw the small wounds I still had on my back. There was nothing I could do to take away what he saw so I did the smart thing and faced him.

“What is that over your body, Livy?” he asked angrily, looking at the bruises on my back and sides.

I didn't respond. I stared at his intense glare and fringed when he walked towards me. Neither of us mind the fact I was in my bra, the fact that a parent was discovering that their flesh and blood had somehow been abused blurred that line of modesty. He reached out and twirled me to see the small burned marks on my back.

“Who did this to you?!” he yelled in outrage. “Was it that boyfriend of yours?”

“ Dad, calm down” I whispered, not looking at him, my gaze stay locked down on my feet. I bit my lower lip to stop myself from crying.