New Home

I stared out of the window at the falling rain. 

I had just gotten out of the airport and was picked up by Alden, a friend of my two foster parents. My last foster family had a crisis and couldn't keep me anymore. I missed them though, especially their daughter, Amy. 

On the bright side, the new town I had just moved to was very nice. Many of the houses were mansions that were bigger than any I had ever seen.

I was on my way to meet my new parents. I had heard that they were nice, but that they were shy because they had lost their daughter in a fire. 

What will they think of me? Will they like me? I tugged out an itchy eyelash, a nervous habit of mine. I'd be lucky to have any eyelashes left by the time we got there.

Alden pulled the car up the driveway snapping me out of my thoughts.

"You're going to like Grady and Edaline," he said as he turned the engine off. I think that's the first I've heard him say.

We walked up the front pathway towards a giant three story house. Alden knocked on the front door. The sound of dogs barking came from the other side of the door.

"Coming," a woman's voice called. The door swung open to reveal a beautiful red haired lady standing there.

"I'm Edaline." The woman said, looking at me with her aquamarine eyes. " You must be Sophie. Please come in."

She led us through the house to a sitting room with food in it. A big shaggy dog came into the room.

"This is Verdi" said Edaline.

The dog stared at me, then grabbed a snack off the table and ran for the door. Edaline sighed.

"We've been training her, but she is going to take some time. Thank you for bringing Sophie, Alden." Edaline said.

"Of course! I have topick up Biana and Fitz now. I will see you soon," Alden replied. "Goodbye Sophie. Call me if you need anything."

I nodded, and Alden left. I looked at Edaline.

"Grady will be home soon. He has been so exited to meet you. Would you like me to show you to your room?" Edaline asked.

I nodded again.

"We run a pet care facility here," Edaline explained as we passed the door to the backyard, which was filled with pens and habitats. "If you want, you could help us on weekends."

"Really?" I asked. Those were the first words I had said to her.Great manners, Sophie.

Edaline smiled kindly.

"Really." She stopped and turned around to face me. "I know it must be weird moving from house to house. And I know it's going to be a little bit awkward at first. But Grady and I are here for you, so if you ever need anything just ask, OK?"

"OK," I smiled.

"Good. Now let's go see your room." She led me up the stairs, down a long hallway, and to a door.

"Here we are," Edaline sang.

I opened the door, stepped into the room, and gasped.

The room was bigger than any room I'd ever had. The high ceiling, large windows, and light colors made it bright and springtime-y.

I spun around and hugged Edaline.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou" I said.

Edaline laughed.

"Come on let's go get your stuff from downstairs." She said.

I didn't have much, just clothes actually, so it didn't take long to unpack.

"Oh! I have a surprise for you!" Edaline exclaimed.

She led me downstairs to a room with a small kitten in it.

"I thought you might want to train him." She said.

"Awww! Yes! Of course I do! Thank you so much!" I said.

She smiled and helped me set up a bed for it in my new bedroom.

"Well, what do you want to name him?" She asked.

Hmmmm. That was a tough one. It was between Marty and Iggy.

"Iggy" I said after a moment.

"It sounds Purr-fect," she replied.

I giggled. We heard the front door oped and close.

"I'm back!" Shouted a man downstairs. " Is Sophie here yet?"

Edaline led me downstairs, and we walked to the living room.

"Ah, you must be Sophie!" The blonde man smiled at me. "I'm Grady"

He grinned at the kitten I was holding.

"What did you decide to name him?" He asked.

"Iggy." I replied.

"Paw-some name!" He said.

I groaned and laughed.

"Not more cat puns. They are paw-sitively awful!" I said.

"I knew I liked you." Grady said with a grin. "When's dinner?" He asked Edaline.

"Whenever you're ready." She replied.

We sat down at the table and ate a delicious meal. I discovered that Grady and Edaline were vegetarians, that they loved animals, and that they had both lived in this town their whole lives.

The dinner was amazing, but the desert was indescribable. Edaline had a recipe for something called mallowmelt, which was the best thing I'd ever had. Grady chuckled as I got a fourth piece.

"Are you ready to go to school?" Grady asked.

I cringed. I would be starting in the middle of the school year. This wasn't a problem academically because of my photographic memory. It WAS a problem socially. Who started in the middle of the year anyways?

"Not really," I mumbled.

"Aww, it'll be OK! I already got a school uniform for you." Said Edaline.

Wait. Uniform? As in dressing like everyone else. I'm dead. My dread must have shown on my face, because Grady laughed.

"It's not THAT bad." He said.

Not that bad? Lies. When I saw it I wanted to run away. It was 'amber' which is just fancy for brown. There was a vest. A VEST. It also had a blouse, skirt, tights, and ballet flats. I stared at it in horror. It was so different from the normal grey stuff that I usually wore so that I didn't stand out.

Edaline and Grady just laughed at my reaction and helped me get my stuff together for the next day. Then they tucked me in.

"Goodnight Sophie. Sweet dreams" Edaline said.

"See you in the morning. Don't led Verdi get you." Grady said.

"Grady!" Edaline glared and lightly slapped his arm.

"Verdi won't hurt you Sophie. I was kidding." Grady mumbled something about nobody getting his jokes and tromped downstairs.

"We're right downstairs if you need us." Edaline whispered as she closed the door.

I sighed and stretched out as Iggy laid down on my pillow. I fell asleep dreaming of ugly uniforms and giant dogs.

.........

Yay! First chapter. This is fun to write! That cliffhanger was rlly bad tho...

Random, and totally unrealated, but the picture is actually just a random KOTLC doodle I did on a car trip. :)

I will try to update soon if you want.