One For The Road

Alex was already suspicious when he walked into the club. Arabella had asked him there but something about her voice over the phone call set off butterflies in his stomach. When he sat down next to her at the bar, he knew that his intuition was right.

"I don't think this can go on," Arabella said, doing her best to avoid eye contact.

He didn't know how to react. Something in his mind told him he saw it coming. That didn't make it any easier. As her words sunk in, he remembered all the hints that foreshadowed the situation. Arabella had never really wanted commitment - it wasn't her style. Alex knew that but had still dived into her headfirst. Even so, he'd thought they were on the right track.

"Okay," he replied, keeping his voice steady. "One more time, then."

Arabella smirked. Despite her plan to break off her 'relationship' with Alex, he knew exactly how to give her a good time. So she brought him back to her place.

She had misread his intentions, however. Instead of going directly to the bedroom, Alex sat down on the living room floor.

"Talk to me. Cut to the chase," he said.

Sighing, Arabella sat opposite him and crossed her legs. She took a deep breath before revealing why she wanted to end whatever their relationship was.

Halfway through her explanation, Alex laughed halfheartedly. Arabella raised an eyebrow. She was slightly offended that Alex had taken this so lightly.

"I should've seen this comin'," he muttered. "I knew it, I knew you wouldn't fold even after everythin' I thought I could offer you."

"Don't make it harder," Arabella snapped.

Alex's interest perked a little. He hadn't realised she would actually be emotionally affected by this. He never would've guessed that Arabella - the cold, calculating woman who had ensnared him - found breaking things off with him hard.

"Keep talkin' to me, then."

"No, it's okay," she replied. "Just go."

He wouldn't have that. Not after everything.

"Not yet," he said. "One for the road."

Maybe it was the alcohol or the tension in the air, but Arabella agreed in a heartbeat. Kissing him firmly, she and Alex stumbled into the bedroom.

Alex had to tell himself to not fall apart while they were entangled under the sheets. He told himself that even though it was their last time together, their relationship would've only led to a bigger disaster.

So while it lasted, Alex made the most of what he thought was their last time together.

When they were finished, he shrugged on his leather jacket. He saw a pair of his sunglasses on the floor but decided to leave them. At least there'd be a small reminder of his mark on Arabella's life.

"One for the road," he said casually as he walked out of the bedroom, making sure to hide his face.

"This isn't the end, Alex."

Her silky voice stopped him. Confused, he turned to look at her, lying beautifully on the bed, her duvet draped over her body. Arabella's makeup was still mostly intact, which Alex found rather impressive considering recent events.

"I changed my mind. I'll call you."