Fireside

It was unusually cold for December so Alex was sprawled across his sofa in front of a roaring fireplace. He hadn't been in contact with Arabella since the end of last month, despite him calling her a few times.

With nothing to do on this lonely evening, he found himself scrolling through these old texts. He bit his lip while reading some of the risque conversations they'd had. Something that caught his eye was a photo of Arabella, taken many nights ago. She was wearing next to no makeup, only simple cat-eye eyeliner that Alex thought looked stunning. He was lying next to her in bed. His hair was messy and there was no question about what had happened.

"For you to look at later," Arabella had said immediately after taking it.

The picture had flown through his head multiple times since. Especially now since Arabella had neglected to talk to him. It was strange that she was gone. He wasn't sure if this was her way of actually breaking up with him. He didn't even know if they were together in the first place.

He also wasn't sure if he should tell this to Arabella. He wanted to because maybe there would be a chance of rekindling their relationship. But, on the other hand, he wasn't sure if she was gone for good this time.

It was hard for Alex to make up his mind.

Still scrolling through the texts, Alex was suddenly by a wave of sadness. He cursed himself for being so naive during their relationship, for thinking that maybe he'd be the one to finally tie Arabella down. How wrong he had been.

Even if Arabella wasn't fixated on him, Alex realised that it would be impossible for him to go longer than a day without thinking of her. It only made him lonelier and more conflicted over talking to her. But his fuse was really fireside this time.