Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

The Teikou Middle School Basketball Club. An incredibly strong team with over one hundred members and three consecutive championship wins. Amongst their brilliant record, the generation of five prodigies was known as the “Generation of Miracles”. Despite being relatively unknown and lacking a game record, there was one more member recognized by the five prodigies. A phantom sixth man.

A week after the Winter Cup, Kuroko suddenly felt like he was always weak and out of energy although the day has just started. He usually had headaches and felt dizzy to the point he could not stand up.

Of course, his parents, although they were busy, requested their youngest son to consult the doctor and have a checkup.

After waiting several hours for the result inside the ward, Kuroko’s main doctor, Doctor Sawahara, arrived inside the ward and told him news he never expected.

“Kuroko Tetsuya has leukemia.” He stated with sober tone.

Kuroko Tomiko gasped and covered her mouth. “W-Wait, how so? Neither of me and my husband has leukemia. Taiki doesn’t have that illness as well. Are you sure that Tetsu has leukemia? How? Why?” She panicked as she squeezed Kuroko’s pale and quite bony hand.

“It seems that from the reports and diagnoses we’ve taken and from the histories from both of your sides, Mrs. Kuroko’s sister and father died with this disease years ago. It has not been passed on to you, but unfortunately, it was passed onto Tetsuya-kun. In short, it’s hereditary.” Doctor Sawahara muttered as he re-read the files in his hands.”It’s verified. Kuroko Tetsuya has stage two leukemia.”

Kuroko sympathetically watched as his mother cried into her husband’s chest in pain.

Kuroko Akira, our phantom player’s father, bit his bottom lip and lightly rubbed his wife’s back as comfort. “Is there a way for him to be cured?”

Doctor Sawahara nodded with a smile and handed them files. “That’s an explanation of what surgeries he could partake, how much each will cost and how safe they are. Please do have some time to read them.”

Taiki bent a little and caressed his younger’s brother’s cheek. “Don’t cry, Tetsu.” He whispered and hugged the blue-head tightly. “You can overcome this obstacle. You will survive and will be cured. I know that it’ll happen. You can do it, don’t be afraid.”

He clenched his brother’s shirt and silently wept on it. “I’m scared…Does my life have it’s limit already…?”

Tomiko, Akira and Taiki all looked at Sawahara and the latter gasped then looked at the ground.

“N-No way…”

Kuroko woke up in a jolt and rapidly sat up in surprise. Although you wouldn’t distinguish it through his facial expression, his heart raced like t will stop any minute and he’s mentally panicking in a corner of his mind.

He fingerbrushed his messed up hair and then sighed. “Why had I dreamt of that…?” He murmured and covered his face with his hands. “Where am I, anyway?” He muttered to himself and inspected the room where he was at. The curtains are all cream white. The bed is white, the bedsheet is white, and the blanket is also white. Everything is white, in short. “Is this heaven?”

“Are there bed, bedsheets and blankets in heaven? As I remember angels sleep on the clouds.” A voice sarcastically replied to him.

He lifted his eyes and met one golden and other crimson eyes. “So you consider me as an angel, Akashi-kun?” The teal-head bluntly responded.