Chapter 3

Burger Marathon 3

I can see my America pin on the edge of my drawer. I pick it up and lightly kiss it.

'Soon."

~~~~~~~~~

I put the pin in my pocket.

I quickly make a lump out of pillows on my bed in a form of a sleeping me and turn the lights off.

I begin walking towards the only source of light in the entire room which of course is the moon's glimmer through the window.

I stand in front of the door and think about what I am doing.

Okay done thinking.

I lift the window up and wiggle out. I land softly on the ground and close the window before walking away.

A few feet away from my house I look back. Is this a good idea?

I consider going back, but I feel the pin in my pocket and think,'This is the right thing to do,"

I continue walking through the dark path. I can't attract attention so close to my house, so I can't turn my flashlight on.

I reach the road and begin walking to the nearest McDonalds. The one outside of Walmart and the one inside Walmart. I can cross two on one trip.

As I walk on the side walk cars pass by me. I ignore them and try not to attract any attention to myself. That's kind of hard considering I wore my pink fluffy jacket on top.

I decide I'm far enough that I can use my flashlight now, so I grab my iPod and turn on the light. I point in front of me as I walk.

I feel a chill go through my spine causing me to shiver. I clasp the sides of my jacket together with my free hand.

I start walking faster towards the gas station in front of me when I feel like someone is following me.

I finally reach the doors, but I don't go inside. I look behind me and see a dog. I sigh in relief.

I walk away from the gas station and continue on my journey. I'm glad for the lack of cars at this time of day, so I can cross the road without pressing a button.

When I see CVS I know I'm close.

"What's a pretty girl like yourself doing out here all alone?" A husky voice slurs behind me.

I look back and see a man in raggedy clothes.

"Come here,"

I start running across to CVS.

"Hey!" I can hear him yelling behind me.

I trip over a bump in the CVS parking lot making my iPod fly in front of me. I try getting up, but soon a hand grabs my arm strongly.

I look up at the man as he lifts me up off the ground.

"Now my pretty. Don't struggle." He breathes into my ear.

"Help!" I yelp.

He covers my mouth with his hand.

"I said Shut It!" He yells at me.

I start tearing up.

"Oh don't cry,"

'America, anybody. Help me.' A tear trails slowly down my cheek.