"Suhana Safar"

Railway stations often offer an interesting sight. One can always experience a different world altogether on the stations. That evening, on June 10, 1992, Ahmedabad Railway Station was no exception. It was as always hosting a large crowd of people. Porters were busy carrying luggage from one platform to the other ; Hawkers were crying at the top of their voices to attract people towards their stalls; some passengers were standing in queues to buy tickets while some others were waiting for their train. In the midst of all these, stood a nervous, shy girl surrounded by her aunt (Chachiji) and cousin. The aunt was giving all sort of instructions to the girl;

Naina beta dekh, tu pehli baar akele safar kr rhi hai. Vaise to tere chachaji tujhe Delhi station me mil jaenge par fir bhi tu apna khyal rkhna, train me kisi se baat mt krna aur na hi kisi ka diya hua kuch khana. Tujhe pata hai mjhe raat bhar teri chinta lagi rhegi. Agar Preeti ka kal exam nahi hota to mai bhi chale chalti tere sath Delhi, ya agar bhabhi ji hi yaha hoti tab bhi kum se kum mai Preeti ko unke sath chodh kar aa jati tere sath. Bhagwan jhooth na bulae, apna khyal rkhna; said the worried aunt to her niece.

Uff o mummy, Naina bacchi nahi hai, vo apna khyal rakh legi. Aap khud itna daroge to vo kaise shaant rhegi. Kyu Naina? asked Preeti, Naina's cousin.

Naina nodded her head in affirmation and assured her Chachiji that she would call her as soon as she reaches Delhi.

Naina's VO: Aap sab soch rahe honge, ki ek train ke safar ke liye itna dar, itni chinta aur itna lamba bhashan. Ab kya kren, ye un dino ki baat hai jab ladkiyo ko Ghar se bahar bhi akele bohat mushkil se nikalne diya jata tha. Aur mai to chali thi ek raat ka safar akele kaatne.  Koi choti baat nahi thi ye. Vaise aapko ek baat bataun? Jab se Aamir Khan ki Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahi Dekhi thi, dil me bas ek hi khayal tha ki kaash mjhe bhi mera hero ek anjaaan safar me mil jae aur us din mujhe man hi man aisa lag ra tha jaisa mera sapna sach hone vala hai. Aap soch rahe honge mai bhi kaisi pagal hun? Ek taraf mere ghrwale mjhe dar dar kr Delhi bhej rhe the aur mai apne imaginary hero ke sapne saja rahi thi. Hahaha yahi thi bas 17 saal ki filmy Naina Agarwal ke sapno ki duniya.

Soon, there was a signal of the arrival of the train. Naina assured her chachi and cousin again and boarded the train. To her surprise, there were very few passengers. Naina being a first time traveller, felt scared but she gathered all her courage and started searching for her berth. On locating her seat, she saw a guy with his face covered with a cap sitting on her berth. Fidgeting her dupatta with one hand and carrying the bag in the other,  Naina approached the stranger.

Excuse me, this is my seat, said a nervous Naina.

On hearing her, the guy removed his cap and stood straight facing her. Naina was awestruck. In front of her was standing a guy who exactly matched the prince of her dreams. Such was his charm that Naina couldn't take her eyes off him. Her heart was beating at jet speed and she was blatantly  staring at a stranger guy. This was a very first for the topper, padhaku Naina Agarwal.

VO: Us din bhagwan se shayad kuch aur bhi maang leti to vo bhi mil jata. Thodi der phle hi apne prince charming ke sapne dekh rhi thi aur ye kya bilkul Aamir jaisa dikhne vala ek ladka mere samne khada tha, jiske sath shayad mai vo safar bitaane vali thi.

Hi, umm sorry, mjhe laga train khali hai to mai yaha baith gaya vaise meri seat saamne vali hi hai, answered the stranger.

Naina didn't respond. She was anyway not listening to what the guy was saying.  Upon seeing her lost, he snapped his fingers in front of her eyes.

Tum sun rahi hao na? Mai keh raha tha ki meri seat samne vali hi hai, mai yaha aise hi baita tha. Vaise mera naam Sameer hai aur tumhra; asked an inquisitive Sameer.