Part-6

June,1993

Sameer and Naina had come to Ahemdabad for their two month long summer vacations. This was the first time they were going to be away from each other for so long.

'Koi fikar nahi hai Naina ko meri, jab se yaha aayi hai apne gharwalon ke sath itni busy hai ki mujhe to bhool hi gayi hai. Milna to chodho, phone pr bhi baat karne ke liye do do din intezar  krna pdta hai' Sameer rolled on his bed sulking over Naina's behaviour'.

'I miss you yaar Naina, Sameer pouted and hugged his pillow tightly.

'Ae ponga pandit, do hafte ho gaye bhai ko yaha aaye hue, bas bhabhi ke hi khayalon me khoya rehta hai, hamari to koi matlab izzat hi nahi reh gayi hai' , Munna said loudly as he entered Sameer's room along with Pandit.

Sameer turned around and gave a angry look to both of them, 'chup kro tum dono, jab se aya hun tum dono ke sath hi to ghumta rehta hun tab bhi tum dono ki complaints khatam nahi hoti'.

'Chal chenu, dost hua paraya, Dushman hua zamana. Hum to yaha bhai ke sath masti krne aye the aur  isne to daant maar kr dil hi tod diya, Pandit wiped his fake tears and both of them turned back to leave.

'Nautanki kahin ke sudhroge nahi na' Sameer jumped out from the bed and hugged both of them. 'Maana ki mai use bohat miss kar raha hun pr iska matlab ye to nhi ki mai tum dono ko bhool jaunga, tum dono to mere jigar ke tukde ho. Sameer paused and then gave a light slap to both of them 'Yahi sun na tha na'? Mundit laughed loud and hugged him again. Pandit put a cassette in the tape recorder and the music of their favourite song 'Tere Jaisa Yaar Kahan' filled up the air making Sameer and Munna's faces split into wide grins. The trio danced together relishing their moment .

************************************
The night had finally set in, the sun rays had long since disappeared over the horizon making space for thousands of shining stars. Whispers of winds could be heard in the rustling of leaves and swaying of tree branches.

Naina tossed around in her bed as sleep was far away from her eyes. She was lost in Sameer's thoughts. She hadn't met him since two weeks and wasn't even able to talk to him much. Ever since her neighbour Megha had eloped with her boyfriend, Taiji had strictly warned both the girls not to use phone or to watch TV. It was becoming difficult for Naina to talk to him in hiding. She knew Sameer must be sad as he always wanted to have her full attention which she hadn't been able to provide him with in the last couple of days. Even she missed him like crazy. She wanted to meet him, talk to him. She wanted him to hold her hands again. She missed his delicate touch and his non stop banter. Preeti who woke up to drink water saw her awake and jerked her out of her thoughts.

Kya hai Naina, jab se ayi hai bas Jijaji ke bare me sochti rehti hai, mujhe to tu bhool hi gayi hai, Preeti said as she straightened up.

Naina turned towards her and laughed, 'Tu na acting thodi kum kiya kar, jab tere paas baithi hun to aadha time to tujhe bas Sameer ki baatein sun ni hoti hain. Sara din to tere aas paas ghumti rehti hun ab tu kya chahti hai ki jab tu so rhi hai tab bhi tujhse baat krun?

Hearing her reply, Preeti too laughed, are ab mai kya krun, phle tu sirf meri thi, ab mjhe tujhe Jijaji ke sath bantna pdta hai na to thodi si jalan hoti hai, bas thodi si.

Accha thodi si, Naina imitated her and hugged her tight. Just then she heard two honks. She ignored the sound thinking it to be her imagination.  'Honk honk' again and Naina jumped from the bed. 'Sameer', she exclaimed and rushed to unbolt the door to her balcony. Preeti too walked after her cluelessly .