Chapter 6

So far we have only been working for Andrés for two week and Aurora and I have gotten along with his sister Diana and his brother Max

So far we have only been working for Andrés for two week and Aurora and I have gotten along with his sister Diana and his brother Max. But his mother looks at me with a disapproving frown. I have gotten a bit closer to Andrés after he told me his favourite colour was deep red and I told him it was mine too.

But his sister is another topic completely. She is confident, but quiet. All three of us gather at the end of the workday and we watch movies, gossip, and look at clothes online. And before any of us fully wake up, we somehow make it downstairs to the kitchen, and we'll make each other coffee.

I was currently wiping down the table after lunch and Andrés's mother, Lady Margarita, approached me.

"His birthday is in two weeks, and we are throwing a ball for him. I hope you can give him advice on how to dress to catch a woman. I want him to be married before I die"

I nodded. Her words stung like lemon on a fresh cut. After she left, I finished my duties and I ran up the stairs. I saw Andrés on the landing, but I still ran past him. He looked at me confused but I just mouthed,  bathroom.

His eyebrows knitted together and he turned around, I took that as my chance to double my speed.

As soon as I got to my room, I got in and I locked the door. I leaned against the door and I sunk to the floor.

I didn't cry. It wasn't my place. Yeah Andrés flirted with me and we made out a couple of times, but that didn't meant we were and item.

So why do you feel like crap whenever you think about him with someone else?

My inner voice was right. But I couldn't rectify the situation because he owns me. He can do as he pleases. But for some reason, I feel that he finds himself attracted to him.

There was knocking followed by Andrés's voice.

"Esmeralda, can you let me in?" he asked.

I stood up, fixed my rumpled uniform, and wiped at my face. "Yeah come in," I said as I opened the door.

He walked in and stood in the middle of the room. He was hesitating and I could sense that he was nervous.

Finally he turned to me and said, "So . . . it will be my birthday in two weeks . . . and there will be a ball," he kept searching for words.

"And . . . since you are my personal maid . . . "

Oh dear is he going to ask me to pick his outfit?

"I need you to be my date for this event, since all the families will be present there."

"What?!" I was not expecting this. I thought he would ask me to pick out an outfit, babysit Rose, or be the one serving the champagne.

He had and arrogant look on his face and immediately doubted him, and he must have sensed it.

"Don't worry," he said, "I am not trying to deceive you."