Chapter 23

There was silence on the other line for the longest time

"Max? Are you still there?" I called out on the line.

"I- I- I have no words at all," he gave a broken whisper.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Is it Dante's?"

"Yes."

He let out a long breath and took a minute before he answered, "Do you know how she is?"

"She is fine and safe, that's why I need you to basically close down the island," I explained.

"Alright, I'm on the phone with the president right now, I'll call you later. Bye."

When he hung up I dialed another number.

"Hello," I heard Andrés's voice from the other line.

"Ay no mames primó, acabo estabas dormido? (Come on cousin don't tell me that you were asleep)," I teased.

"Cállate cabron, que quieres ahora (shut the hell up, what do you want now)?" He growled.

"Any ways, have you heard anything on Esmeralda?" I asked in a bland tone.

"No, her body went missing and so did her uncle and Aurora," his voice sounded like gravel, and I knew for sure that he had started crying.

"Hey man don't cry, I am actually with them, instead of Jacksonville, we are in Tampa," I confessed slightly. It was true. We weren't in Jacksonville, but we aren't in Tampa either.

"Okay, I'm going, I'll be there in about three hours," and he hung up.

Finally, I called the person I never thought I would call again.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey sis how are you doing?" I asked.

"Hijo de la fruta!? Cómo te atreves a llamar me después de todo al tiempo que pasó!" She yelled at me.

"Nice to hear you too Opal," I grinned at my shoes.

"Well now that you finally call, where have you been?" She demanded.

"I was with our cousin Andrés," I answered.

"Oh you were with that guy? I heard from Tia Margarita that he started to go crazy after Lucia left him, and that it got worse when a girl named Esmeralda went to work at the Estate."

Jesus why can't Tia Margarita ever shut the hell up.

"No, he was sane up until she left to Mexico."

She drank up the information like water.

"And then?"

"She came back and he threw her a party where Lucia attacked her, then she died after complications at the hospital."