Chapter 10

Hey hey, vote, like, and comment if you like it (or even if you don't, tell me why???!!)! I love hearing from you guys :)

-----------------------

Chapter 10

Rowan clutched the steering wheel tightly, her lips pressed together in a thin line. The ride back had been silent for the last half hour and it was doing nothing to calm Rowan's nerves.

What would happen to them after this? She was naive to think that Evans would just let this go. He was going to hunt them and everyone they loved down. As long as the High Alpha was in the picture, they would be fugitives from their own people. They would never be able it trust another pack wolf again. She would have to live like her mother and Ramires, forever doubting their safety and away from the emotional comfort that a pack brought.

"What are you thinking about?" Finn asked, interrupting her thoughts. "Are you okay?"

Rowan smiled at him, a warm feeling filling her chest because he detected her distress. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm worried about you though, are you sure you're okay?"

He placed a warm hand on her leg, soothing her and providing further relief from the pain of being separated for so long. All he did was nod. "We need to talk," he said quietly, looking back at the little girl in the backseat who was fast asleep. Rowan scowled, slightly jealous in spite of the fact that the girl was way too young for Finn to even consider romantic involvement. She didn't like the insolent little brat, and the brat didn't like her either.

"We do," Rowan said, directing her eyes back to the road. It would be silly to go through all that and get into a car crash right after the action was done with. She hoped she didn't hurt Gary too badly. He had been her lifeline to reality back in the early days of her imprisonment, and one of the only reasons she had come through with at least some sanity. Evans had always been the hardest on the young children because they had less to lose than adults who had families and lives that could be used auto control them. The children Evans brought in were always separated from their families, and therefore needed a tighter rein. It was barbaric and unnecessary.

The rest of the ride was spent in silence. It wasn't overtly awkward, but there was an undertone of discomfort that made Rowan want to squirm in her seat. She was still worried about the talk she and Finn were long overdue to have; thoughts of the future of their relationship and other thoughts about her past plagued her mind.

She pulled into the garage beneath her apartment and parked, almost hitting the neighboring car in her haste to pull in.

"Come on," she beckoned Finn as she pulled the little brat out of her car and handed the sleeping pup to Finn. She briefly wondered what ability the girl had, but decided it wasn't a top priority at the moment.

As they stood in the elevator, Rowan turned to Finn and gestured towards the kid in Finn's arms, "How did you pick it up anyways?"

"'It' is a girl, and her name is Juliana," Finn looked amused at her ornery tone.

Rowan huffed and turned away, looking at the electronic display on the elevator wall. 5... 6... 7... the elevator climbed too slowly for Rowan's sense of urgency.

"I let her out of her cell and she just attached herself to me," Finn finally explained. "What, are you jealous?"

Rowan shot a glare at her mate, who had that self satisfied smirk on his face again. She hated to admit that she kind of liked it. It was one of the first traits she had noticed. Of course, it was also fun to smack a little humility Ito her mate. "Pedophile," she muttered just loud enough for him to hear.