Pull My Heartstrings

IM SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SORRY I HAVENT BEEN UPDATING

I've sat down to write the Transcend chapter at least five times, but I haven't been able to because I'm stuck. And finals just ended, so I was a bit busy too. Instead, I wrote like three chapters of this story, which I couldn't get out of my head. I like this story line much better than Transcend, frankly, because I have a clear idea of where it's headed.

But tell me what you think :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Creak, creak.

I stared at the two chains above me, annoyed. Would it kill anybody to oil the swings? Trying to tune out the annoying sound, I closed my eyes and pretended I was floating in the clouds.

"Tag! You're it!" a kid screamed close by. I opened my eyes briefly to glare at the kid for disturbing my peace. The kid stuck his tongue out at me. I rolled my eyes. I never did get along with the other kids in my school, they were just annoying. As I looked away, I thought I saw a flash of red on his blue shirt, but there was nothing there.

Closing my eyes once again, I breathed in deeply, scenting the forest behind me, the sweet wind, and the faded scent of the woodchips below me. All of a sudden, a wave of vertigo overcame me. I couldn't open my eyes no matter how much I wanted to. The darkness tumbled and spun, which way was up?

Pain. I supposed I had fallen off the swing. The vertigo faded and I opened my eyes slowly, whimpering. My back ached.

"Rowan?" Mrs. Cohen, my teacher, leaned over me worriedly. "Are you okay, hun?"

I sat up painfully. I could hear giggles and snorts from the children crowding around me, trying to see what the fuss was about. "I felt dizzy so I fell," I rubbed my hair, which had woodchips in it.

"Let's take you to the school nurse, okay?"  Mrs. Cohen lifted me up and took my hand, guiding me into the school building. I looked at her, she was really pretty. She was a werewolf, just like me, and in my pack, too. Her blond curls bounced lightly around her slender shoulders and her bright blue eyes gazed at me reassuringly. She was wearing a really pretty green shirt that made the red string coming out of her chest stand out.

"Mrs. Cohen," I tugged on her hand. "You have a red string coming out of your chest."

She frowned at me for a moment after looking down at her chest. "Are you sure, hun?" she smiled.

"Mhm," I nodded seriously. "It leads that way."

She looked in the direction I pointed in, puzzlement adorning her features. "Alright, hun, let's get you to that nurse," she glanced at me, smiling. For once, her smile didn't reach her eyes.

She ushered me into the nurse's office. "Hi there! What's your name, sweetie?" the nurse crouched down, her hands on her knees. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The strings appeared when I was eight. It took me a while to figure out what they were and what they meant, and somehow, I wish I had never known. Sure would've saved me a lot of pain...