Chapter One

Vee's POV

I felt the sun's rays gently heating my back as I rested near a rock. The sound of water echoed in my ears as birds and other smaller animals played in the water.  They were actually being a little too loud. It was hard to concentrate on sleep when they were all making so much noise. 

But I would rather this than the others coming over here. My peace would surely be ruined if that happened. 

Ever since I met them, they had always put me last. I always ate last and never once got the best places to sleep. I was always the last for most things. But that wasn't even the worst of it. If I ever tried getting some food before my turn, or even if it was my turn they would attack me. I wasn't sure why. 

Even though I couldn't actually see my attacker, I always knew who it was. Charlie. I still haven't figured out why. He never talks to me. I don't understand. 

Echo and Delta seemed to tolerate me. They talk to me, but only if it really benefits them. And if Charlie's attacks cause enough damage they might, just maybe, help lick my wounds clean. 

But no one helps me more than Blue. He is the only one who really shows me any sort of kindness. He is the one that stops Charlie from killing me or makes sure that there is food left for me to eat, and if there isn't, he gives me some of his. As much as he says he was full he had already eaten enough, I knew he was lying. 

He also has been trying to teach me how to fight by listening and feeling the ground for vibrations. I already did that, to begin with, but he would be my sparring partner. I am not really able to hold my own yet, and I don't think I ever will be. The others tell me how a raptor who can't see isn't worth living. 

According to them, I am just dead weight. 

They are probably right. I can't really do much, I don't contribute anything. I am just there for them to feed. 

I mean, I can barely walk around here without running into a tree or tripping on a branch. Stubbing my toes on rocks or falling into the small pond. I have gotten better at knowing where I am, the tall walls that keep us in here give me a good idea of where I am. The north has these weirdly textured door things. the south is always the coldest part. The east is where the pond is, and the west is where the metal bars are. It is how the humans enter. But that rarely happens. 

It is probably good that they don't. We would eat them anyway. 

I slowly opened my eyes and lifted my head when I heard leaves and bushes rustling. I knew who it was by their scent. 

"Vee, why are you way over here? You just missed a pig." Blue said trotting over by me. He slowly leaned down and laid right next to me. 

"Oh, I didn't know... It is okay, I am not really hungry anyway." I lied, I was actually starving. It had been a while since I have eaten. Every time that we are given food Charlie takes it. He threatened me, that if I told Blue I would pay. 

"Eh, your getting really skinny. I know you can't really see it, but you need more meat on your bones or else you're going to get sick." His husky deep voice muffled by what smelt like meat in his mouth. 

"Take it." He said placing it in front of me. I hesitated, but I wasn't sure if I should eat. Sure I was hungry, but I didn't feel like eating. 

"If you don't eat it, I will make you." His voice became stronger and sterner making me flinch a little.  

"Okay..." I responded leaning down and sniffed the meat. It was a rather large piece. 

"Will you eat it with me?" I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat it all with my shrunken stomach. I could feel the smile on his face. 

"Yeah, but you take the first bite." He said softly. His eyes boring into me. I wasn't able to see anything. No colors or shapes, but with my heightened hearing and sense of smell, I could imagine little outlines of where everything was, only if it was moving slowly or not at all. Anything moving too fast was hard to see or picture. Which is why running is hard because I can't see anything. 

I slowly ate half of the meat. The flavors exploded in my mouth. I missed this flavor. I licked my lips feeling for anything pieces that I missed, and maybe any blood that would be on my lips. 

"Good?" He asked a mouth full of food. I nodded hoping there was more, but I knew this was a one-time thing. Blue wouldn't be there to protect me forever, and even if he was he wouldn't want to. He would get tired of me sooner or later. 

"We should go by the others. I am sure they are wondering where we are." He swiftly stood up using his snout to help me stand. I 'looked' around trying to sense where he was. I smelt him in front of me, which is where I twisted the rest of my body to look. I heard him take a few steps and I followed. He never ran to fast for me. If we go slow enough I can probably get away with only tripping a few times instead of a million. 

Charlie's POV

I watched her. She rested by a rock. She actually looked peaceful. I wanted to step out and ruin it for her, to keep her in her place. She wasn't harming anything or anyone but herself. She needs to be more aware or else she is going to die here. Sure we have no natural predator at the moment, but she should know by now that she is never safe. 

I felt bad for wanting to ruin her happiness, but I have been doing it for so long... for myself. I know Blue is getting closer to her. In fact, a little to close. 

He could decide to make her the alpha female, making me the runt all over again. 

I can't have that happen. Being pushed down and last for everything. It hurt too much. I needed her to feel the same demeaning power that I did. 

And when she came, it all changed. She was then less than me, and I want it to stay that way. If she became stronger, like Blue is trying to make her, it is only going to make me weaker. 

Either she stays low, or dies, and I don't care which. 

I hope you like this chapter!! Next chapter coming soon!!