˚CHAPTER FIVE˚

A chilly gust of wind hit Scarlett's bare arms as she watched the sliding doors in front of her part open. Benno led the way out of the brightly lit complex building and onto a railed pathway that stretched over the choppy waters. The path shielded walkers from harsh weather with an overhead canopy that left an open space between the rails to let in a breeze.

Scarlett followed Benno and her team through the sliding doors and onto the elevated walkway, feeling the cold floor panels on her bare feet. She trod lightly and quickly behind everyone else and tried to keep her eyes upward so she could take in the view of this new planet, including the vast alabaster-colored sky and the eternal blue sea.

Now that they were out of the small, dark room and away from the horrible Galdavue counselor, she was curious as to how the whole competition, celebration, kidnapping thing would turn out and her fear had mostly dissolved. For some reason, it felt more like a trip to Disney World than an abduction to her now.

Scarlett took in a deep breath and filled her lungs with Latster's chilly, salty air. The smell of the ocean walkway reminded her of a trip to the aquarium. As she took in the unique beauty of the place, she was oblivious to her teammates' reactions and for a moment she even forgot that they were there, possibly judging her.

Benno led the five of them down a few turns and side paths of the walkway before they reached an open platform with several different types of vehicles sitting idly by, most of them appearing to be vehicles using hover technology. Scarlett saw trams, personal cabs, animal-drawn chariots, and even a few hoverbikes. Benno stopped at the end of the tunnel like pathway and pulled his hood over his head, glancing briefly at the pale sky, then turning to the teenagers.

"Now we will travel to the campus. It is about four-twenty-eight P.M. so I will take you to your apartment space so that you may get acquainted with it. At five-thirty the cafeteria below the apartments will hold dinner for an hour and a half. You have until then to clean up using the apartment's washroom and finish choosing which bedroom will suit the boys and which will suit the girls. Once I drop you off, I will see you all once again at dinner time." Benno explained.

"Where will you be for that next hour?" Scarlett asked, tilting her head.

"I have to explain this all to the last two groups. One of them just arrived and they should wake soon enough." Benno replied, waving for them to follow as he stepped out from the canopy and headed towards a small humming tram.

Benno stood by the tram door, his thick robes dancing in the whipping wind while he waited for the door to slide open. Once it did, the Lauhuae greeted the driver and then guided each teenager up the stairs. Scarlett made sure she was the last aboard so she could watch where everyone else sat. The twins sat together one row back from the front and Sage picked a seat on the same row but on the other side. Chrissy began to amble forward, but she crossed her arms and glanced over her shoulder expectantly at Scarlett.

"I'm coming," Scarlett encouraged her cousin, climbing the stairs and briefly glimpsing Benno following her up.

Chrissy stood in the aisle, waiting, her face somber and tired looking. Scarlett trotted up to her cousin and rested her hand on Chrissy's shoulder.

"So where are we sitting?" Scarlett asked softly, glancing around the empty seats in the dim tram.

Chrissy shrugged. Scarlett lifted her eyebrow giving her cousin a look.

"How about behind Sage?" Scarlett suggested finally, pushing past her cousin and plopping down behind Sage's seat.

"Why not the Gunnarsen's?" Chrissy wondered softly, sending sad puppy dog eyes to where the blonde twins were quietly whispering.