˚CHAPTER SIX˚

With a boatload of enthusiasm and a bit too much eagerness, Scarlett yanked open the stark door with so much force that she nearly wiped out on the hard floor in front of her. As she began to peel herself off the floor, she heard Chrissy's loud laughter from behind her. Scarlett scoffed and rolled her eyes at her younger cousin's amusement as Marcus, also chuckling (but in a politer manner) came to her side and helped her back to her feet.

The rest of the group warily filed in around them, drinking in the somewhat bland main room of the apartment with their wide eyes. Once Scarlett had recovered from her wipeout, she took a look at her teammates again, interested in their reactions to the small apartment.

Chrissy's eyes were big and round as she wandered curiously about the apartment, with a touch of anxiety mixed with the surprise in her pretty brown irises. Sage's expression was grim and he kept his gaze glued to the floor. Scarlett could tell he was scared out of his mind; his hands were shaking. Marcus had his stare fixated on a small couch, centered on the wall opposite the door. Martinus gradually walked over to where Chrissy was, his face blank of expression. Scarlett thought he looked drained, not physically, but mentally and emotionally.

Scarlett let her eyes wander around the room after evaluating her teammates. She saw a few doors, probably leading to bedrooms and a bathroom or maybe a closet. She noted the single window behind the couch and the odd symbol decorating the couch's throw pillows that matched their clothing.

She was pulled out of her examination when she heard a door creak. She whipped around and saw that her adventurous cousin was the first one brave enough to open a door. As Chrissy slowly pushed open the first door, Sage followed her example and cracked open the door on the opposite side of the room. Martinus gravitated towards Sage and peeked over his shoulder as Chrissy disappeared beyond the other door.

Scarlett shot a glance at Marcus, who slowly walked over to the couch and eased down onto it. With a deep breath, he closed his eyes and melted into the plush cushions. Scarlett took that as her cue to follow Chrissy and let him have some space.

Beyond the other door, Sage gazed around the plain room, simply filled with two dull colored beds sporting the reoccurring symbol. Sage noticed that the symbol matched the pillows outside and he turned to Martinus with wide eyes.

"You have that same symbol on your sweatshirt!" Sage exclaimed, throwing a finger in Martinus direction. He seemed oblivious to the one plastered on his own gray hoodie.

"As do you, my friend," Martinus said blankly as he took a moment to examine the room. He kneeled down and pulled out one of the trundle beds. "So, I will take the trundle bed and you and Marcus can have the others."

"Absolutely not," Sage replied firmly with a head shake. "I'll take the trundle. I will not allow you to sleep on that," he gestured to the trundle like it was a dumpster.

"Oh, please," Martinus shrugged, patting the trundle. "When Marcus and I go on tour, we sleep in beds that are much more uncomfortable than this." The blond slowly lowered his shoulder to the trundle bed and shifted around a bit before looking up to Sage with another shrug. "See? It's not nearly as bad as tour bus beds. I'm used to the discomfort."

Marcus breezed into the room causing both other boys to swivel their heads. He went directly to his brother who was spread out on the bed.

"I will take the trundle bed, you two will take the others," he told them simply, batting Martinus shoulder so he would get off. Martinus hesitantly lifted himself off the floor bed and Marcus flopped down onto the trundle in his place as both of the others stared down at him. Marcus finished, "That is the end of this discussion."