o. prologue

prologue.
nightmare

❛ nightmare ❜

_____

ONE MONTH AGO.

     ARLYN'S EYES SHOT open, and she wasn't so sure she was awake yet. The dream was so surreal...she wasn't on Earth, she was sure of that. A dark red planet, deserted of all human life, besides an army alongside her. She wasn't even sure she was herself.

Then the sky was falling. It was rocks—no, it was stars, crashing against the rocky surface. Millions were dying. And everyone who wasn't dying, was disappearing into thin air, as quiet as the wind. Arlyn stood, paralyzed, wishing for one of the stars to hit her instead of anyone else so her death could arrive faster.

But instead, she was the last one left, and with no stars in the sky the planet turned to darkness, swallowing her up whole. She couldn't even scream.

Then her eyes had flung open and she was sitting up, where she was now. Well, now she'd crept out of bed, peering out her bedroom window at New York's landscape, just making sure it didn't really happen.

It was so hard to tell what was real or not real. Was that plane in the sky a star falling? Were those city lights flickering off going to cause all the other lights to do the same? Arlyn shuddered at the thought, her hands gripping her window. Unbeknownst to her, her purple energy tingled around her fists, as they rattled low against the window.

"Are you alright?"

There was a voice behind her, but she was so frozen in place she barely shuddered. Peter could barely see what was in front of him before he rubbed his eyes, watching Arlyn's figure stare out the window, her back facing him.

He tilted his head. "Arlyn?" He called again. He saw her fists clench, her dark magic wrapping around them, as if one more move and she'd tear off the window sill.

After 2 more years of being Cosmo she'd learned a lot, and been able to handle a lot more. Ripping apart this window was the least of his worries.

Her head turned around, but in the darkness of the room he was almost blinded by her glowing, purple eyes; he could barely tell himself if he was dreaming or not. She only spoke 2 words, her voice vibrating against his chest, sending chills down his spine.

"We're fine."

Peter's teeth clenched, as he rose higher, pushing off his elbows. "What did you say?"

The purple light faded slightly, Arlyn's once stoic face morphing into something more tired and confused. She shut her eyes, shaking her head a bit, and turning towards the floor.

She opened her eyes and glanced towards Peter, but the light was gone. And so was the energy around her hands.

"S-sorry, yeah, I'm fine. Let's go back to sleep."

Peter hesitated, but nodded nonetheless, throwing open the covers to let her in. Luckily one of Arlyn's mothers had changed her home office into a bedroom for Gisa, seeing as both sisters wanted their privacy and hated sharing a room.

Arlyn snuck back into her small bed, just big enough for the two of them, as Peter draped one arm over her stomach, only a few minutes passing before he fell back into a deep sleep.

But Arlyn had yet to fall asleep, afraid that the nightmare would come back to haunt her. So she laid on her back, staring at the ceiling till her mind was so tired she practically forgot about the dream.

Yet, the idea of it still haunted her even weeks after, as she still wasn't so sure it felt like a normal dream.

_____

it has begun!!! hmmm kinda creepy that arlyn said that 🤔🤔🤔 wonder whats going on.

hope you're enjoying this so far, cause im enjoying writing it!! btw this is one month prior to present day, aka start of infinity war. not a month before the ending of whatever it takes if u were confused.

got any questions so far about wtf is going on??? ;))