iv. chapter four

chapter four.
conflicts and control

 ❛ conflicts and control ❜

_____

PRESENT DAY.

     SHE COULD FEEL Stark's hesitation behind the earpiece, yet he still accepted her request.

"FRIDAY, unlock 17A and 17B."

The other suit must have been Peter's suit he'd shown them 2 years ago when he offered him a place in the Avengers. And speaking of him turning it down...

"W-what suit? What are you talking about?" Peter said through the earpiece, making Arlyn's stomach twist as she continued flying. Now was not the time for him to find out about the suit.

Not only 2 weeks after her confessing what she'd been doing for the past 2 years.

Tony ignored him, as Arlyn became slightly lightheaded; she ignored the feeling and persisted upwards, feeling as if her fists were burning at the speed she was flying. "Kid, you gotta let go. I'm gonna catch you."

He didn't need to number them for Peter to know who he was talking to. "But you said save the wizard!"

Dammit Peter, let go, Arlyn thought, but before she could voice her thoughts she felt the little chip of nanotech attach to her bracelet—the one Stark gave her just in case she was in a situation just like this—which could now transform into her suit. The tech ran up her arms and around her figers, her leather-like suit trailing upwards, covering her chest, and spreading throughout. Goosebumps trailed over her skin as it washed over her, creating something that she hadn't even tried before, only seen rough designs of.

The black nanotech wrapped around her feet inside her boots, as well as cover her back and shoulders and arms underneath her long, black jacket. The tech just stopped at her neckline, but with a tap of her bracelet the tech continued upwards, reaching just above her mouth just like her usual mask. It barely felt like a type of metal, instead it was flexible, breathable, and most importantly...strong.

Wearing it felt 100 times better, as if she was reborn. Now this was Cosmo.

"I can't breathe," she heard Peter say, which made her fly faster, her eyes burning a fierce purple. In any other moment, she'd attempt to make it go away, but in this moment all she could think about was saving Peter.

"You're too high up, you're running out of air," Stark explained. Luckily for Arlyn, the mask part of her suit helped her breathe in times like this.

The ship was much closer now, and she could see Peter's figure hanging on to the side, his mask ripped off.

"That makes sense..." he breathed out before she watched his body fall, practically making her heart drop—she wasn't going to make it in time.

But his suit would.