ii. chapter two

chapter two.
a ms. frizzle adventure

 frizzle adventure ❜

_____

PRESENT DAY.

AS MUCH AS Arlyn had no desire to go on this field-trip, she knew she wasn't allowed to say no to it, seeing as nowadays she was doing anything to keep her grades up. She couldn't miss any potential work, not when she had to make sure the school wouldn't have to call home.

Sure, Arlyn was smart, always on top of her grades. But this was a tougher year in high school, and she really wasn't in the best mindset; her stress levels had been high recently, not just because of school.

"Earth to Arlyn?" A voice asked in front of her as she took her eyes away from the window, shaking herself from her thoughts. Ned was in the seat in front of her, and beside him was Emily. Peter had sat beside Arlyn in the aisle seat of the school bus.

"Sorry, what?" Arlyn asked, seeing Emily even turn around, wondering why Arlyn was spacing out. She even noticed Emily study her, as if she was assessing how she was doing.

"I said d'you wanna help build a Lego Millennium Falcon?" Ned asked again, not really noticing Arlyn's strange behaviour.

Arlyn blinked a few times, processing what he said before nodding blankly. "Yeah, sure." And it didn't take long for her eyes to drift back towards the window; mostly avoiding Peter's worried stare.

"We don't have to see that movie after school if you're not up to it," Peter mumbled, just for her ears; it was hard to speak over the rowdiness of the school bus.

Arlyn took a glance at him before shrugging. "Yeah, maybe another day."

That would also give her an excuse to avoid him more, seeing as they'd been in a strange place since their argument 2 weeks ago.

She almost jumped at her phone buzzing in her pocket. She tucked a loose tendril from her pony tail behind her ear, checking her phone, being a text message from Emily.

Em: You have dark circles under your eyes again.

Her best friend knew her too well.

Arlyn: Yeah. Had a bad dream again. Then couldn't get back to sleep.

Ten seconds passed before she replied.

Em: I'm sorry. Maybe you should try taking drugs to help knock you out for the night?

Arlyn bit back her smile; she had no idea what she'd do without Emily.

Arlyn: Thanks Em.

Em: No worries A.

The moment was interrupted by Peter's body shoving against her, leaning over her out the window.