Daisy

I woke up to my parents hovered over my bed. "Happy birthday princess!" they yell, like they do every single year. Most of the time, I fake a smile and act excited. But today? I was grinning ear to ear. I thank my parents, and they leave so I can get dressed. I put on a blue sundress, and then I curl my hair.

My mom puts a cheesy "Birthday Girl" pin on the strap of my dress. The same pin I've used every year since I was eight. It's tradition, I guess. My parents start talking to eachother about tonight's birthday, and they're really stressed. I think they want to make up for all the other parties.

The bus pulls up outside of my house, I say goodbye, and my dad hugs me and says, "I can't believe my baby girl is 16!"
When he finally lets go, I jump on the big yellow bus. The bus driver and a few kids in the back yell "Happy Birthday!" as I get on. I thank them and sit down on the fake leather blue seats. When I walk into the hallway, people rush to greet me and say happy birthday.

Jacob holds my hand and walks me to all of my classes that day. It's been pretty much a normal day. The bell rings dismissing us from 8th period, the final class of the day. Oliver come's up to me and wishes me a happy birthday.

Oliver. 

I haven't talked to him in years.

Memories flood in, from when we were kids. Going to the park together, the beach. His backyard.

I feel guilty for not inviting him for tonight... he leaves the room before I get the chance to say thank you.