⟡ 18 ⟡

For the past many months, Jeongguk had had no chance of hanging out with Taehyung. It had in fact been six months since the two friends had last met up. Ever since the middle of Taehyung's third year in middle school, the older started distancing himself from Jeongguk. Very strange, Jeongguk thought.

His mother assured him that it was just due to boarding school and homework, and the fact that Taehyung was a grade above him. Jeongguk wasn't buying it. At all. It was late spring, and Taehyung was currently in his fourth and last year of middle school. He was going to high school next year, and Jeongguk didn't even know which high school he was going to attend.

It was strange how the two slowly drifted apart, even going as far as Taehyung's mother calling Jeongguk's mother because she was worried about her son not spending time with Jeongguk.

So of course Jeongguk was ecstatic when he finally managed to set up a play-date with the older. 

Today was the day of the meet-up, and Jeongguk was more than excited. He had spent most of the noon and early afternoon trying to tidy up the cabin, bringing a plate of his mother's signature cookies. He had spent solid ten minutes begging his mother to bake them, and she finally agreed, not being able to resist her son's puppy face.

Taehyung was supposed to be there at 5PM, and they planned to meet up at the cabin instead of at Tae's like they usually did. Jeongguk made sure to be there before they were supposed to meet, already ready to greet the older with a massive hug.

Jeongguk checked his cellphone, only to see that it was 4:36PM. The preteen groaned slightly at the phone, begging the time to pass by faster. The cellphone was Taehyung's old phone, that he had given Jeongguk for his 11th birthday, almost two years ago. To make it easier to stay in contact, Taehyung had told Jeongguk back then. It was probably mainly because Taehyung had just gotten a brand new iPhone instead.

Jeongguk tapped his shoe against the ground impatiently before standing up, and going around the cabin to grab some firewood for the furnace, that had been installed in the cabin long ago. Although it had been there for a long time, it had only recently started working again, due to Jeongguk's hard work on it in the weekends.

To be honest, Jeongguk was certain he had gained some muscle from doing so. He had even managed to grow an astonishing three inches in the past five months. He wondered if he was taller than Tae yet. Probably not, Jeongguk thought, That guy is tall as a mountain.

In the past one and a half year that Jeongguk and Taehyung had become more distant, Jeongguk tried to get to know the people of his middle school better. Kiana had quickly become as good a friend as Yugyeom and he now saw the two of them equally on the friendship graph. But they were nowhere close to Taehyung, obviously.

Slowly, as time passed, Jeongguk also got better and better at PE, soon being able to run almost as fast as Kiana. It had quickly become one of his favorite subjects in school. But he particularly enjoyed the martial arts, football and dancing. Kiana had even dragged Jeongguk with her to one of her dance classes a few months back.

Quickly dropping out of his thoughts, Jeongguk looked down at his phone again. 4:56PM. Not too long now, Jeongguk muttered. He stood up and walked through the door, deciding to sit outside instead.

4:57PM. Jeongguk looked around checking to see if Taehyung had arrived before the scheduled time. He hadn't, not yet at least.

4:58PM. Jeongguk kicked a stone in front of him into the lake. It was silent in the forest, no artificial sounds to be heard from moving cars or busy people. The only sound was the quiet sound of water moving, squishing around lightly due to the light breeze.