Chapter One

Finding Carl was how all of this began. Rick could have stayed in the hosptial, where he knew he could hide and somehow survive. Rick could have killed himself, there really wasn't a point living in such a miserable world after all. Or Rick could have given up, unaware of what his child's face looked like after eight years without him, mind settling on the idea that Carl was somehow sent away and was safe. But Rick couldn't do it. Carl was his boy, he loved that kid more than anything else, and he wasn't going to stop until he found him.

Over the years, Rick had faded in and out of groups all around Georgia. He would stay for a few weeks, travel and scavenge woth them, before explaining that he had to find someone. Most of them thought he was looking for his wife, but even the love he had for Lori could not compare to the love he had for Carl. Carl was a brave kid, Rick knew that he could survive this, that he had survived it.

In Ricks pocket, tucked down deep in the cloth, was his wallet. He still carried it around, along with his badge and uniform. He didn't have his hat, though. Ricks hat had always been Carls favorite part of the uniform, not the gun or the handcuffs or the walkie talkies, the kid liked the hat. Rick knew Carl was different. He didn't focus on violence, he focused on kindness. Each and every day Carl would run to the door and climb into Ricks arms and ask him how many people he saved. The boy was a wonder.

Inside of Ricks wallet were a few different photos. One was of Lori and him on their wedding day. They were smiling and clinging to each other as if they planned on letting go. Someone should have told them that holding on too tight breaks things. Their tattoos didn't match, but they were in love, and that was what mattered. Tattoos didn't signify love, though, you could love as many people as you wanted, the tattoos just showed you who you would fit together with, like puzzle pieces. Lori always said it wasn't their job to complete the puzzle, she agreed with that until she saw Shane had the same tattoo as her. A star behind her ear. Shanes was on his ring finger. It was hard for Rick not to be pissed.

Carl had just been born when they found that out. They were celebrating his first birthday with a cook out, Rick holding his baby while Shane and Lori experienced a love that could never compare to their own. Rick wanted her happy, he did love her, and he wasn't going to stop her from experiencing some of the best feelings in the world. They ended up agreeing to stay married. They wore the rings and put on a pretty good act for Carl, but as he got older he stopped believing it. The kid was young, not blind. Fights began to be more normal, then they turned into the only time Rick and Lori would speak to each other. Rick slept on the couch each night while Lori took the room. Carl was never caught in the middle, though. After each fight he would climb into his dad's lap and cup his cheeks and tell him how much he loved him. That Lori was just mad and didn't mean what she said. Carl wouldn't leave until Rick smiled and pinky promised that he was okay.

The other photos tucked away in his wallet were photos of Carl. Picture day in kindergarten, first, second, and third grade. A photo of Carl in Ricks hat when he was only four or five. Then a photo of Carl holding Ricks hand. It was the most recent photo, Carl half way through third grade, sitting next to his dad's hosptial bed while he was in a coma. That photo always made Ricks heart ache. The last time his son saw him was when he was nearly dead. Rick couldn't even imagine how hard it was to deal with losing his father, then having the world end. He was only eight years old, he should've been running around and playing hide and seek, not learning how to be a man.

Rick knew it was a long shot, finding Carl, after all it had been eight years. The kid would be fifteen or sixteen years old by now and look completely different. No matter how many times Rick was let down, though, he could never find it in himself to give up. His boy was still alive, he had to be. Shane wouldn't have let him get hurt. As much as Rick hated to admit it, Shane loved Carl like he was his own son, Shane would have protected him with his life. So would Lori, the only reason she ever stayed with Rick was for Carls sake. She wanted her boy safe and happy just as much as Rick did. They just never agreed on what was best for him.