c h a p t e r s i x

"hi

"hi. is the chief in?" asked madelyn.

"he's on his way. is that it?" a woman asked, referring to the cooler in her hand.

"yeah."

"can i see it?"

madelyn looked at her, then the cooler, then back at her.

"no. forget i asked." the woman said again.

"madelyn, it's good to see you." webber said, walking into the room.

"hey, i heard your mother was leaving mayo. she's going back with the u.n.?"

"she's, uh, taking time off." madelyn answered.

"write another book, i suppose."

"listen, so, they said to bring this to you, so,"

"yes uh, for the police."

"right."

"when did the police say they were coming?"

"you know how slow they are, so she better take it with her." the woman said.

"what?" madelyn asked, frazzled.

"you have to take it with you." the woman repeated.

"chain of custody rules. all medical matter in a rape must stay with the person who collected it until it's placed into police custody." richard explained.

"you collected the specimen, so you have custody." the woman added. madelyn figures that she was a lawyer.

"custody of a penis."

"yes, until the cops come for it." said richard

"okay. well, what am i supposed to do with a penis?"

richard pursued his lips and awkwardly looked around the room, avoiding eye contact. madelyn stormed out the room and down the computers.

she approached george, he was sitting at a computer. she put the cooler on the counter and george looked up.

"what's that?"

"don't ask, you don't want to know." madelyn answered, picking up some files from the table.

"i do want to know. really."