c h a p t e r t e n

madelyn awoke to the load sound of her alarm

madelyn awoke to the load sound of her alarm. she shot up, looking for her phone to turn it off.

she checked the time, it read 9:45

"holy shit karev, we're gonna be late!" madelyn yelled. she got out from under his covers and ran to the bathroom to get ready.

quickly, she threw her clothes on and made sure karev was ready.

"alex, are you ready to go yet?" she yelled.

"yeah, yeah. i'm coming." he mumbled.

💙💙💙

"now, mrs. davidson, this form simply says you consent to the donation of your husbands major organs, heart, lung, liver, and kidneys." madelyn explained to the woman, handing her a form to sign.

mrs. davidson signed the form and handed it back to madelyn.

"now, i need to ask you a few questions. are you willing to donate his corneas?" madelyn asked.

"you want his eyes?" she repeated.

"um, corneal transplants can give someone back their sight."

"i suppose that's okay." 

madelyn handed the form to mrs. davidson, who signed it and handed it back to her.

"what about his skin?"

"what?"

"it's used to help burn victims."

"you want to cut off his skin? what about the funeral? you want to me to have a funeral and have people look at him, have his daughter look at her father, and he doesn't have any skin? it's his skin!" the widow protested.

the wife started to cry and madelyn got up and walked out of the room, followed by bailey.

"what are you doing?" she asked.

"i'm not a people person."

"no kidding."

"i can't do that. i can't talk to the families of patients. i'm sorry."

"what's his name?"

"who?"

"the patient. what's his name?"