c h a p t e r s e v e n t e e n

"you have?" the o

"you have?" the o.b. asked.

"i want to try and save the other twin. i wouldn't be able to live with myself if i didn't."

"would you like to come in tomorrow and consult on making a medical plan?"

"yes, please. does 5 work?"

"i have an open slot. see you tomorrow."

"see you." madelyn ended the phone call. she turned around to see who was coming from behind her.

"hey, derek."

"was that the o.b.?"

"yeah. i made my decision. i'm gonna do everything i can to make sure both my babies survive."

"that's great!" derek said, digging his hand into his right pocket.

"here. this is the phone number to the best fetal surgeon i know. just, if you call her, don't mention me." derek offered, handing her a piece of paper with a phone number on it.

"why?"

"we don't get along very well. there's... history. now, follow me. we gotta go check up on our patient and i need you in surgery."

"thank you derek."

"don't worry. i just want to make sure you're twins are okay."

💙💙💙

"you're gonna be retracting it for the next 14 hours, so i'm just saying i hope you have strong backs." bailey said as madelyn walked into the scrub room.

"holy, that's a lot of tumor." madelyn marveled.

"i need you to assist me in the surgery." derek instructed as madelyn and him start to scrub.

christina and george finished scrubbing and left to set up in the o.r. leaving madelyn, shepherd, burke, and bailey alone in the scrub room. meredith popped through the scrub room door.

"mr. levangie has agreed to dbs... if we do it today. if he leaves he won't come back." meredith said at the door of the scrub room.

"don't worry, dr. shepherd. it'll take hours before we get to the spine. i'll page you." burke assured.

"all right then. let's do it." derek said as he walked out of the scrub room. madelyn finished scrubbing and went into the o.r.