c h a p t e r s i x t e e n

"what do you think?" izzie asked the interns

"what do you think?" izzie asked the interns. the four of them were waiting outside the chiefs office because meredith was in a meeting about a patient with burke.

"fifty says meredith gets tossed out on her ass and burke walks away clean." christina answered.

"i don't think the chief will be that harsh. she did report it, even if it wasn't immediately." madelyn chimed in.

"please be nice to her." george added.

the group turned when meredith walked out of the chief office.

"burke saves my ass in there." she whispered. christina let out a sigh, know she lost fifty bucks but also a sigh of relief that her friend wasn't fired.

"don't you all have something better to do?come on people. move!" bailey scolded the group. the all scattered away.

madelyn checked the time. it was almost three.

"shit. shit. shit. shit." she cursed. she was going to be late to the appointment with the o.b.

conveniently enough the o.b. was in the same hospital as her, she she quickly rushed over to the peds floor.

"dr grey. just on time." her o.b. said, leading her towards the patient room and laid her down on the bed, lifting her shirt and applying the cold gel to her womb, which had grown a bit in the past few months.

"you are three months, correct?"

"yeah."

"so there is one of your babies." the doctor said, pointing to the fetal monitor.

"and there's the second one. and there is the cord wrapped around its neck."

"what can we do about it? surgery? there has to be something."

"well currently, there is a lack of fetal surgeons, so it would be hard to get a surgery. we could carry the baby to term and see if it lives, we could abort the single baby through a c-section, or see how long you can carry the baby and when the cord gets too much, we take the single baby out and let you carry the other to term."

"oh, god. i need alex." madelyn cried.

"alex is the father?"

"yes. where the fuck is he? he said he would come." madelyn whined, taking out her phone to call him.

"hi. you've reached the voice mail box of alex karev. leave a message or whatever." his answering machine played.