Chapter 2

I awoke suddenly, my hair a frizzy mess. My clothes were torn to shreds. The last thing I remember was those weird girls chasing us. I looked at my surroundings and noticed I was in the public park in a back corner. My house just bordered the park, so if I found my house, I could just jump the fence. I stood up and began looking around. I noticed something shiny on the ground. I walked over and noticed it was Jett's old pocket watch, the one he always wore around his neck. I picked it up and studied it. The chain was completely gone and the watch was stopped. I turned it over to the back and read the name.

Cathryn Jameson

I shoved it into my jean pocket, but it fell right through thanks to a huge hole in it. I picked it up and carried it for the rest of the way.

When I found my house, the gate had been torn down and the wooden planks left there. I walked through my yard, up to my room, and put on my PJs. I messed up my hair and went downstairs where I heard my parents going.

I waited at the top of the stairs for a few minutes. Then I went downstairs.

"Emelie?!" My mom said giving me a huge hug. "Thank goodness you're ok! We couldn't get into your room - the door was locked all night! Did you see the yard? We think someone tried to break in."

"What?!" I screamed, trying to pretend like I didn't already know about the gate. Then I thought for a second. My door wasn't locked, was it? I mean, the door opened easier than it ever had. Usually it would get stuck and I'd have to push it. But this time it opened just like that. I ran upstairs and checked the door. It was broken off the hinges and the lock was bashed up.

Who had done this?

"Mom!" I called. "My door!" I ran downstairs.

"It's ok, honey. Lucky we're going on vacation. Well, you are. I'm staying with my co-worker Samantha until the police find the criminal and you get back. I'm going to give you some extra money to buy new clothes since you'll be staying all year."

"Wait, what? I thought this was just until the end of summer!"

"No dear. We changed it."

"What?! What about Christmas? My birthday?!"

"You'll like your Aunt. Hun, I'll visit."

"Why are you doing this?"

"It's complicated. You'll see. Trust me, dear, you'll understand."

"No, mom. I don't understand." I stormed back upstairs, collapsed on my bed, and cried.

I was suppossed to visit my Aunt this summer then come back home for school. But now my mom was making me stay a year?! I couldn't believe this!