Chapter 1

16th January, 2017

"Is it true?" Jessica asked out of nowhere.
"What?"
"You and Stanley?"
I smiled. Jessica just stared at me.
"Felicia? You're dating the hottest guy at school, and you didn't tell me! Man!" Jessica said punching me playfully.
"It all happened too fast. I still am not sure all of this actually is happening." I said sheepishly.
"Oh come on! Half the school knows about it. Stanley is going around jumping happily and letting everyone know that the most beautiful girl at school is his." Jessica said.
I felt myself blush.
"Does Stanley think that I am beautiful?" I asked.
"Yeah, I don't know what exactly about you he finds beautiful. But yeah, he does." She said grinning and teasing me.
I punched her arm and head to class. Biology, to be precise.

All the heads in the hallway turn towards me and whisper. But this one time, I know they're surprised whispers, differently surprised, not the whispers I usually own. Not the whispers like, "God! Do you know she cracked that scholarship exam? The one that was considered impossible to crack?", "Such a bookworm."

This time, it was about me and Stanley. The bookworm dating the most popular guy at school. There were jealous girls staring at me, and Stanley's friends, wondering what he saw in me. To be frank, I am wondering too. All of it came too suddenly.

***

14th January, 2017

It was morning, early morning. Too early to have people on roads. Just a few men delivering newspapers. I got up, showered, changed into track pants and got out to jog. I was a part of the track team at high school. I was good at Athletics, and it was easy to get into the school team.

It wasn't just Athletics that made me develop an interest to be a part of the team though. It was that there was a certain someone in the track team too, a certain someone whose smile took my breath away. Yes, you're right. Stanley Web.

But jogging early morning was something I used to do even before I moved into the vicinity. That's like two years ago. This had become a habit, a good one. I wasn't expecting what happened that morning.

"Hey! Felicia!" I heard someone calling my name. I freeze. I know that voice. He comes to me, running, breathing fast trying to catch his breath. In the two years of knowing him, 22 months of crushing on him, and a year of friendship with him, I had learnt one thing. Even if Stanley Web was a great athlete, waking up early morning wasn't his thing.

"Hey, Stanley. How come you're here?" I asked.
"Me...?" He stammered, "Nothing, I thought... Umm... I'll go out to jog a bit and" his voice gets clearer and he stares me straight in the eye, "I knew you'd be here."

My mouth drops open. Did he just say that he was here because he hoped to find me? But why? Did he wake up early in the morning just to meet me?

"I mean," he cleared himself, "I thought I'd have someone to give me company as I jog."
Oh, so that is it. My expectations dropped low again.
"Great! I'd like some company too." I smiled to hide my disappointment.
"Just please jog a bit slower? I am new at this stuff. And anyway, we aren't in a hurry to go to school, it is Saturday." He asks.
I laugh and reply, "Yeah sure."

We match the pace as we jog, and I had to reduce to one-third my speed.
But it was worth having Stanley by my side.
"You looked amazing yesterday." He said.
"Sorry?" I looked at him.
"At Rachel's party, you know." He cleared.
"You were there?" I asked, surprised. I hadn't seen him there.
"Yeah, you were walking towards the parking with Jodie supported on your arm when I pulled in with my car. Jodie didn't look okay, so I didn't disturb you. But I did see you. That blue dress looks amazing on you. Infact, everything looks amazing on you." Stanley said, looking at me straight in the eye again. I stare back at him for a while.

What did Stanley just say? What was happening to him? I try to avoid the topic when I reply.
"Yeah, Jodie got drunk. I was driving her home."
He smiled. I guess he noticed that I changed the topic. He didn't react though.

"Hey, Felicia. Can we just wait and have some water? I am new at this. I think I need some rest." He said.
I felt way less nervous when he talked of something neutral, like water. But that guy, he is cunning.
"Yeah sure, I walked to the bench in the park where we'd kept our bags. He followed and sat on the bench. I handed him a towel and as he wiped himself, I pulled out a bottle.
"Orange juice?" I asked.
He smiled at me and nodded as he took the bottle from me. He gulped some down and said,
"You didn't even wait for dinner at Rachel's yesternight."
"Yeah, Jodie was not doing fine."
"You know Felicia, this is what I admire about you. You're so helpful. You skipped dinner to help a friend. You're a good person and I admire that." He said.

Oh no, he has started again. I realise he just wanted to make me sit down so I have to listen. Water was just an excuse. Again maybe, the new bird at jogging was actually tired.

"But you know what, Felicia? I think I have liked you since before I even ever talked to you."

That's it! The end of the chapter. Forgive me for any grammatical errors I have made.

Very disappointed that I didn't get as many reads after the first chapter. This is a mystery/thriller, guys, not just romance. It starts at the third chapter :)

Please keep some patience!

Like, Share, Comment, Follow.

Love Kaninika, xoxo