Chapter 2

I gulped. Did Stanley Web just say that he had always liked me? Come on, Felicia, be bold. Don't just blink at him and creep him out. The inner me warned.

"Oh." I said, my voice cracking. No, this is embarrassing, please no. I coughed. "Sorry."
Stanley laughed and said, "I am not pranking you or something. Stop making that face." And he looked me in the eye again, deeper than ever and said, "I really do like you, Felicia. You're not one of those people who pretend to be more than who they really are. I've admired you ever since I started coming to know you. Do you like me back?"

I swallowed. This was the time to be bold and confess. But I just couldn't. I just looked at my watch and said, "Hey Stanley, it is 7. I gotta go. Got an assignment to finish and submit on Monday. Mrs. Wilson isn't very forgiving about assignments, you know."
"Sorry, what? Oh okay, cool..." Stanley said. I gathered my things, stuffed them in my bad and got up to go. I'd walked a metre or two when Stanley called.

"Hey, Felicia!"
I turned around. He continued,
"You going tonight?"
I raised an eyebrow for him to explain.
"Uh, you know that yesterday's party was for Jodie, right?"
"Yeah, because she got her first modelling contract that she'd been trying for years to get and Rachel wanted to throw a party in celebration? What about it?" I asked, confused.
"Turns out Jodie feels guilty about getting drunk and ditching Rachel's party. So she is throwing a party tonight to make it up to Rachel at her place. She texted me last night."
"She did?"
"You didn't know about it? But she told me that she invited you too..."
"Just a second."

I reached for my phone in my bag. I hadn't checked it since last night, so even if she texted, I wouldn't have known. Sure enough, there was a text from Jodie.

Jodie: Hey, Fel! Thanks for helping me tonight, girl. I think I want to apologize to Rachel... So party at my place tomorrow! Be there at 7. And yeah, you have to come, Stanley kept asking if you're coming. ;)

I clicked my phone to lock the screen and turned to the expecting eyes of Stanley.
"So... You going?" He asked.
I folded my arms and raised an eyebrow at him.
"What?" He asked.
"Why did you keep asking her if I am going?" I asked.
He grinned sheepishly and said, "I, uh, I just... I gotta go!"
And he hurried to gather his things and rushed. But before leaving he turned to me once and said, "Hope to see you there tonight."

And then he rushed out of the park. Yeah Stanley is bold. But that day, I saw the shy him, the him I've never seen.

***

I didnt know what to wear. Normally, I wouldn't have cared, I never was over-conscious about how I look. But that day was different.

Stanley said he liked me because I was not fake. I think that gave me an idea on how to look that night. I chose a red lace dress, nothing special, but I was comfortable in it. No make up at all, that's how I always used to be. And hair up in a messy bun. No high heels, flats, because I'm comfortable in them.

"Mom!" I called out.
"Yes, honey?" She asked.
"I'm leaving, I'll stay over at Jodie's after the party. Girls' night out."
"Stay safe!"

I rushed out, turned on the ignition and drove off. Never knew that night would be the night I'd dreamt of.

When I reached, there weren't many cars and bikes parked outside. Looked like she'd invited selected people. But I didn't know the sole purpose of the party wasn't to apologize to Rachel.

When I walked in there were only 8 of them. Rachel, Jodie, Megan, Emma, Stanley, Mark, Roger and Scott. I knew all of them from high school.

"Finally you came!" Jodie said.
"We thought you were gonna ditch the party." Rachel said, coming forward and hugging me.
"Uh, you guys were waiting for me?" I asked, confused.
"Of course, you need to be here for the party's purpose to be achieved..." Mark started but I think Stanley kicked his knee under the table. I didn't know why.
"You're the last to arrive. That's why we were waiting." Stanley said.

Well, I did smell something fishy. But I didn't ask. I was sure I'd come to know soon, like I did.
"So you guys want something to eat?" Jodie asked.
"Don't tell me this is a dry party?" Asked Roger.
"Umm, yes it is. Alcohol is what ruined Rachel's party, so we decided no alcohol tonight. Moreover, we thought it'd be better for Felicia and Stanley to talk sober tonight as well." Replied Jodie.
"Wait what?" I asked.
"What? Oh, nothing. I'll go get food." Jodie rushed.

I turned to Stanley. This time I saw Mark kicking Stanley's knee and whispering. And Mark's whispers were loud enough for me to hear. "Go for it, Web. This is your chance."
Stanley whispered back, still loud enough. "I'm nervous. What if she doesn't like me?"
"Who wouldn't like the great Stanley Web? Just go for it."
"Okay!"

And Stanley got up and fixed his collar. And trust me, I'd never seen him looking that handsome. He walked to me and said, "Hey Felicia, wanna go out for a walk as the food gets ready?"
"Sure." I say and we walk out. I swear I saw Scott giving Stanley a thumbs up before we went out.

"So what was all of that?" I asked Stanley.
"What...?" He asked, pretending to be confused.
I raised an eyebrow at him.
"Fine." He said, "The purpose of this party wasn't just apologizing to Rachel. You can say it wasn't at all. This party was held for us."
"For us?" I asked, genuinely confused.

Well, here's the part. Stanley said, "Felicia, like I told you in the morning, I have admired you since forever. I know half the school likes me because I'm Stanley Web, the football team captain, class topper, and lead athlete. And maybe I have decent looks too... But..."
I interrupted, "You've got amazing looks."
"What? Oh, thanks."
"What were you saying?" I looked at him. I think I knew what was coming.
He looked back at me and said,
"But Felicia, you're the one who knows me for who I am. Being a lab partner with you in bio this year, I have got to know you more, and just liked you more and more each day. I used to hate biology, but you taught me to love it, you inspired me at the track team, you helped me improve. And I realise, with you by my side I am becoming a better person everyday."
He took a pause. I kept staring at him, my cheeks red. He continued,
"Felicia, I think I am falling in love with you. Are you too?"
"I always have been in love with you."
"What? Seriously?" He smiled out broad.
I nodded.

And after that, he went down on his knees and said, "Felicia, will you be mine?"

That's the end of chapter 2! Thanks for your support in chapter 1, sorry for keeping you waiting. What will happen after this? Can't tell you here! Keep reading to find out!

It starts in the next chapter, keep reading! :)

Like, share, comment.

And follow me to get notified when I upload a chapter!

Thank you for your love and support.

Love, Kaninika xoxo