Ch.4

I watched Lucas's smile fall into a look of complete loss. He looked as if he'd gotten the news that a loved one had passed away. I was immediately worried. The bell rang and I leaned over his shoulder to look at his 'essay', if you could call it that. It was more like a full fantasy novel.

My stomach fell into the same frown as my boyfriends. B+? Is this a joke or something? I ripped the thing off his desk and furiously flipped through the pages. There were no suggestions or corrections. The pages were absent of red and yet on the top of the first page lay a large red letter of disappointment.

I placed the thing back in front of Lucas and flipped through the pages in front of him, "Lucas, look. There aren't any corrections or anything. He just disagreed with your argument. You have to fight this. It's completely wrong of him to do this to you."

"(Y/N)? Lucas? Everything OK over there?" Mr. Butler's face held concern.

I glared at him, "Mr. Butler, you have to go back over Lucas's paper. You had to have made a mistake."

He smiled tightly at me, "(Y/N), other students grades are meant to be private. If Lucas has a problem he can-"

"B+?" Lucas raised an eyebrow at Mr. Butler.

Mr. Butler slowly nodded his head. "Yeah, it was good work."

I scoffed but Lucas looked at me. I knew that look. He wanted to take care of it. I nodded and sat in the desk to the right of Lucas, where Becca usually sits.

Lucas flipped through the pages. "And yet I don't see any suggestions about how I could have made the essay any stronger."

"It was well written. You sure know your SAT words, but, you're thesis..." The conversation continued. I understood everything, but I was so angry, I didn't want to hear anymore.

I was snapped out of my head when I heard Mr. Butler, sounding quite offended. "I'm sorry?"

"Your degree?" Lucas leaned toward Mr. Butler. "Your degree. Where did you go to college?"

"I went to Iowa state." Mr. Butler stated, looking highly offended.

Lucas's face broke out into a grin of relief. "Oh, I see."

Mr. Butler's face turned red. "I don't think that has anything to do with-"

Lucas nodded. "Yeah, perhaps my interpretation of the text fits more of an Ivy League mindset, and that's why we're having this miscommunication."

Mr. Butler's face still held the emotion of pure shock. "Uh-huh. Well perhaps, a B+ is the highest grade I can give you. It's very close to an A-"

I slammed my bag to the ground, standing to lean over Lucas's desk. "3.3"

Mr. Butler glared at me, "Excuse me?"

I rolled my eyes, "B+? That's a 3.3. An A is a 4.0. Mr. Butler, maybe it's a good think you chose English as your major because math obviously isn't your strong suit. If you think that 0.7 is not that big of a difference, then I don't see why there would be a problem in raising Lucas's grade."

Mr. Butler gave me a deadly look. "Ms. (L/N), you have an A. I don't see why you jeopardizing your own grade for him-"

"Oh, so you're threatening my grade now? You are being unfair. You stated time and time again how you agreed with my thesis. It is obvious you do not agree with Lucas's. However, may I remind you- in your own writing in the syllabus- that this project was a matter of personal opinion? No matter whatever personal disagreements you had with his thesis- his writing is phenomenal. You didn't even have anything to say about it! You just left his paper blank with no suggestions! Now, what does that tell us?" I snarled.

He clenched his teeth. "(Y/N). Get out. Now. This is between Lucas and I-"

"Just. Give me. The A!!" Lucas raised his voice.

Mr. Butler looked between Lucas and I before nodding to himself. "I'm sorry Lucas, but all grades are final. I'm sure you'll do better on the next one."

He got up and walked back to his desk. I stood, ready to try to do more, but Lucas grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I felt the heat radiating off Lucas. He grabbed his bag and dragged me after him- his nails practically digging into my arm. I didn't say anything. I just followed him to the broom closet. We were both angry. This is how we dealt with it.