big word

Ethans POV

I woke up to the sound of soft knocks on my bedroom window. Why on earth is someone knocking on my window and not the front door. I rubbed my eyes a few times before searching around my sheets to find my phone.

*1:38 am*

Today was one of the rare nights that I actually did fall asleep early and my insomnia didn't keep me awake, but now there's someone at my window waking me up.

I got off of my bed and walked over to the window beside me. Lifting the curtain up slowly, I was revealed with a very sad looking Alissa.

Oh no no no, she shouldn't be here. I don't want her to see the state of this house. There's literally rubbish everywhere, drugs, empty beer bottles laying around. But those aren't from me, those are from my mum.

I slide my window open so I could talk to her. I wanted to let her in, but I'm embarrassed of the place to be completely honest.

"Ethan, can I- can I come in please".
she whispered being as quiet as she possible could.

"You shouldn't be here Alissa".
I said rubbing my hand on the back of my neck nervously.

"Please Ethan" her voice trailed off even lower this time.

It was cold out, her hands were wrapped around both her shoulders. Why isn't this girl wearing a jumper.

I slid the window open even further, and her petite body was easily able to fit through and come inside.

She walked over to my bed and sat down, making herself comfortable. I've always loved her confidence, she's not the shy type; unlike me.

"I'm sorry"
Her head hung low as her legs were crossed on top of each other. Her elbows on each thigh as her hands pressed onto each one of her cheeks- making her face look chubby.

"It's okay".

"No it's not ethan"
She whispered as she lifted her head up slightly to make eye contact with me. I was standing up a few feet away from her, still by the window which was now closed again.

"it just hurts, I don't even know who you are anymore" I said.

"Don't you remember the times we would run around the street, talking about the most random things one by one..." I trailed off.

"I miss those days"
I could feel my eyes getting tearful, but I refused to cry.

"I'm sorry Ethan, I really am... please just look at me" she said referring to my current position; my arms crossed with my head low, avoiding any sort of contact with her.

Although it was hard. Every minute of the day I could look at her beautiful features and never get tired.

"It hurts because I'm in love with you"
I spat out without even thinking. It's like my mind was going out of control, I couldn't do anything about it.

"Ethan... what are you saying"
She whispered again shaking her head slightly from side to side.

"And I have been for years on years now, but I didn't say anything. I watched you get hurt by that douchebag of your ex and I couldn't stop it. I couldn't stop him from hurting you. Do you know how much I hate it, how much I hate the fact that I couldn't save you"